Dodge VC3 restoration

Hi all,

it might be quite late to start a restoration blog but here it goes anyway.

310.jpg

This is a 1940 Dodge VC3 4x4, one of 816 Ordered by the US army. The model is basically a civillian 1939 pick up which Dodge changed for military service. Changes include: A front Axle, Brushguard, military rear / front bumpers...

It's from this series the WC 1/2 ton were created and later the 3/4 tons. Some remained in service untill the end of the war. However they never saw any action in Europe. During paint removal, we discovered it's original registration number.

qyW6YtGaahxwVj9A8SWisREG-VTRnO4molMGyf8yYpQ=w168-h222-p-no

Unfortunately, we didn't find any other markings. We did however find advertesing on the doors of a Sheet metal and roofing contractor in Pennsylvania. we believe this company was the first post-service time owner. Now, the company is

run by the grandson of the person which owned the VC3. He couldn't help me with any pictures, but he did tell me there was a big depot of the 109th reserve (During WW2 and before WW2 the 109th Field artillery), about 5 miles from where the company is. I suspect the Dodge came from this depot, i cannot prove it though.

3 years ago we started a frame off restoration.

uSsTxnCgUVvlSxba0tCMiAPe5OX5K7Y47IpWmR7uGLE=w270-h203-p-nocndOtnRHqbna8B3LGoNl1zuyns-7qDo7pckAjdednw=w270-h203-p-noPv_no9qCCioEsy6YkbxdqXnYXqCn0j7PZVDlBO9vBiU=w270-h203-p-no

The frame was solid, it got reinforced during it's servicetime in the army (all VC's got the frame reinforcement ).

Edited by Dodge'40-'45

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We sandblasted and painted the chassis and rebuilt the axles. about a year and a half since the start of the restoration we had a rolling chassis again. The transfer case was completely worn, we found water in it (as the engine..). Luckely the internal gears where the same as the WC transfer cases.

P-55jGKbeTqfCx8W7jummTn-OOV1DsvpbDUxwD4X_Jo=w270-h203-p-noJslZhMMuSeX59jiSi4jTvHysxAuZQdSL9UlkcH6T8Ak=w270-h203-p-no

Luckily, the gearbox was in good shape and only needed a good cleaning. The gearbox is not the same as a WC series. When the front axle is engaged you can only shift into first and reverse, second and third is blocked.

TOIJv9h0tvrRdY93hCuM8tpxcw1DYM2-83oydlEld1g=w270-h203-p-noHOdgfhantmI5e6L-4xddWqcT5TTuB6aVkRlAqITD6rc=w270-h203-p-no

The engine was a post war replacement and also contained water. We found a replacement wartime engine and rebuilt it completely.

ElG5eyWiocADHOlWpHg_Ymil9k6_kwa03IEmx8492w0=w270-h203-p-noVPiWZySkRpl6P2H1tXih_PAsSFgvGLnoxYEBlOm-Om8=w270-h203-p-no

Some pictures of the big day when the engine was installed again.

1WCNl9VI3RmA-48waRQU6bR5KgGoxZM94-o4ism-6VM=w270-h203-p-noIWfa_3NX70-a-kTsQkuybvv_4H9GE3U2aoWT5088c4M=w270-h203-p-no

We had to search long for a new fuel tank (which is the same as a 1939 civillian pick up truck). however this model proved to be difficult to find. The original was like a piece of cardboard after all these years.

24_acYJbvKrmgGjsJv1PK5IdhOsNhe8xZ88cuckglx4=w295-h222-p-noXGTQ-_VsHvX0zrijX5if1SuzYzoZkLTbS-5mBdTuSkM=w270-h202-p-noZUaZkAl9XlZ4QKQdp_scJaVXNnRUey2oKNLYWHzNqoE=w270-h203-p-noCnYnFeqpDxIRJhdm3py4CAecFtRper4nUTydu0Y7Q_M=w287-h216-p-no

Edited by Dodge'40-'45

QgHmZVFSHoi_2-a-efOxzTdYAYUAk_u5-DeB7yaKUxw=w270-h203-p-no

The cab is an original military cab. However it was badly rotten on the usual places. The truck had stood outside for sometime (or atleast half outside) because the driver's side was quite rotten. luckily we had a donor WC open cab.

uXVsTRr4sjKt04lOagqTvjStRjiZ_PPz7tIZyiPdXvE=w270-h203-p-noc1kl2RoT_BrgeQGmLuVXysNdZsESw6aoXCoARtlrl6k=w270-h203-p-no

9f_5kIoqq0atLG9ZmUtKTAsrD9FtW8_T-vHbgkR310g=w270-h203-p-noXGU5A_Hd3Mi-S-CXqJWcdpzD7lzPhKp2aEtQStBYplk=w270-h203-p-no

Donor part being fitted

RSV2V4bNX9__-X7CT9P-i5PG1gExF5U3RZHQ6bYkuR4=w163-h216-p-no

After lots (and i mean LOTS) of hours welding /grinding , this was the result.

before sandblasting after sandblastinbg / painting

Dq6f5dKVlwOXemdAMOBvBmOVf5MQnch-XilgC_Y34kg=w270-h203-p-nomm-LQ7MhzgRSgO7UxCIYiiFM7aAEK6sN5rJXHlpUGl8=w287-h216-p-no

Nice, wish I still had mine but I had to make some space. I did keep a VC front which is going on that late 1940 van - when I get round to picking up that axle.

So many trucks, so little time.

Any VC parts you still need?

During the last day of 2012 we put the cab back on the chassis again.

511Z48vloE-qxzLW6CluKkyKiUN2cy1yc5RZsBdXm2U=w270-h203-p-noOW-Jy5mlCzp6nPJv9JJUfGkzOkwSg1-sPyGFM6F8n54=w270-h203-p-no

ZTwm9nifgtS_YBFq6RCrae5-APz_SbZUMtK5gGC8vis=w270-h203-p-nolCs6QHG84SrPrnP8dEc1cnM5MceuucjjrN-_hgzSEy0=w270-h203-p-no

The front sheet metal was in quite good condition, only some repairs needed to be done to the front mudguards.

The mudgaurds may look like civillian ones, but they are quite different.

vPF10e126HxMkhleCDMmrObl4g6vGjjHyN2x3cKJp3M=w270-h203-p-noyppetyql2MtkK2eqXNuVpeIDNjxml_frOhNMsDxQEXc=w270-h203-p-noQW6osq9oWdxRlmx-lmWxoGht-Ky1gCabfxyxHzDxxeU=w270-h203-p-nobJHlqy23XDxHpDprbPoJNVxcCcR8h2JA6l9tgzyGb_w=w270-h203-p-no

The brushguard was also quite rotten, we had to replace the middle.

The doors (not the band :-D) being repaired

Nij7Blsp3EVw-s8dA7Jifb7HhI_-jzx3G_xmMmvfJMc=w270-h203-p-no65F5rq_J23inC6uhpWmaLVjaAZItKLaMfuAqo26q52M=w270-h203-p-no

The front windshield (fitted glass in the meantime)

haGV3IHObwIe8rLHnBBKYnz4UwQU7R9Sag7J7gd_Nsk=w270-h203-p-no

Nice, wish I still had mine but I had to make some space. I did keep a VC front which is going on that late 1940 van - when I get round to picking up that axle.

So many trucks, so little time.

Any VC parts you still need?

Hi Gordon,

Been a long time, hope you are doing well.

Did you sell your VC3?:-(

we got most parts for the VC3. We're still looking for an original T202 engine, the one that's currently in it is a later T223 one. in my opinion it's not a big deal since most got a replacement one but it would be nicer to find a T202.

your parts are still dry stored here.

Regards,

Niek and Eric

When most of the sheet metal was done, we assembled it temporarily to see if it fitted nice.

IWOjiS1FdAvIixwVwS0yrdoxYTsVt4yQ79QLG37ELc0=w270-h202-p-noGwo5vPJGvFans1kNkAvxYeDGJCCRrsFZNwcmzqCXv7Q=w270-h202-p-no

Now the front sheet metal just needs adjusting. With this done we started work on the pick up body.

the sides were quite nice, only needed some minor repairs.

before:

Sv04Xm3a4NS8jFi_LOF5uxDF9GEI8e4aTmKW4Dp32Rs=w270-h203-p-no

GwSkXn6eLc8Hg8yAA8_VtVYqMGjf0HaUzOdIYaZIyOg=w270-h202-p-noE957sqtUdEX5-wqT-awbkeCB0j6S-pYTDVcZAHl__nw=w270-h202-p-no

New wood, luckily we still had the original for pattern. new cab floor.

uwuiOx1gE6zi3g9mLvUM_BZ0TzmDTfG3COq9PUpZkhU=w270-h202-p-no_jDrWqC0wy9davJKc9fdlJf5NG2D1JJzFs7SyFggVQE=w270-h202-p-no

C_3Jw-QUIR4RYi6dYcUm-_w0_mE8pxYbklXsUYqkxtA=w276-h207-p-noRUhGNcSi9Vbe0CilkW1leqTO2g-XzlcUG8yM8FOUK_8=w270-h202-p-no

Painting the back of the cab and the wooden frame before being fitted.

Body now fitted

m13sNmJIbSey7fdYYfSIdVpzc-jIS9q9J3eGZq0LyQs=w270-h202-p-no

Yes. VC 3 was doing nothing so now it is on the south coast of England, together with the VC 1 chassis. I really need to get some work done on my 1939 Pickup and 1940 Panel, and with the VC parts in the garage I couldn't move. My garage is tiny and not clean and shiny, like yours ... 8-)

I need to pick up that axle, I know. I still need it, and fenders, and seats for the panel van.

When you get to the canvas on the VC3 you need to decide if you will have bow corners or steam bent bows. The steam bent bows look nicer, but then the standard end curtains do not fit because of the extra height.

I am still running the VC list and survivors page - if I hear of a T202 engine spare I will let you know. :-D

You have all the parts you need - except for the engine?

G

Yes. VC 3 was doing nothing so now it is on the south coast of England, together with the VC 1 chassis. I really need to get some work done on my 1939 Pickup and 1940 Panel, and with the VC parts in the garage I couldn't move. My garage is tiny and not clean and shiny, like yours ... 8-)

G

Hi Gordon,

Sorry to hear that, hope it's at a good new home. After lots of searching we managed to find all parts. The engine is not a necessity but would be a nice addition. The T223 runs also nice. as for the bows, we're going for the steam bent ones, they're in my opinion more fitting for the 1/2 tons.

Last week we started working on the rear mudguards, they're in a much worse state then the front...

Lots of welding and grinding again... work never stops :-D

DHtoqkLNL4VeGaFKzQv-3g4QfqRNLZ_VehgPvSnBtRk=w276-h207-p-noY2OciYdFNrAikrWZ9SBjfAH8D0GEe_QnKclZodJkyn0=w276-h207-p-no

Rear mudguards fitted

i62rFFOfYQ05jyxdEDCTZD4xn40RYQE02lBy0CHP5ig=w270-h202-p-nonnUxfwiOjerSG1FtqwtCGgAOvox8BmTZVuKHEqanoT8=w270-h202-p-no

Rear window fitted (went surprisingly well :shocked:)

WEjxXQf_8U0yy46C98zmYewpF1R5yx90rK5ws3ppo7c=w270-h202-p-noyU-K1mQbh20Uk8EOEjcPBuNU8KbF4OREbyaZ1JcGrj4=w270-h202-p-no

And yesterdays work.

Doors again

I8J6M55l75Vwar0L6tHATUeyw3RwcIZnxojaM7EYYj4=w270-h202-p-noUrPWazMRKB6P8sAz3QrcJhKOFm0_jyJJ8X9Y4Icnn7g=w270-h202-p-no

getting the instruments for the dashboard ready.

box of goodies

zRzw22oWChBjhJ8L0NSMM2X9hejISfZmMAt6WaeNshU=w270-h202-p-no

Well so far for the pictures will post more soon if interested. here's a link for the full restoration album

https://plus.google.com/photos/117488934513697626694/albums/5887494183759353665?sort=1&authkey=CKTAxMy67OTFvwE

Hope you enjoyed the pictures,

Niek, Eric and Werner.

Today's work:

- repaired /replaced Dashboard gauges, just looking for an oil gauge now. Some that were in it were post war replacements.

- painted the glovebox, originally it would have been cardboard (like the civillian pick up trucks), but they do tend to lose shape. We got a metal replacement.

-reinforced the rear fenders with glass fibre, at some places they were only as thick as a piece of paper. Unfortunately it's not possible to get new replacements as they're not the same shape as the civillian fenders.

Next will be lots of painting. Also hope to put the windows in the doors next week.

P1010667.jpg

P1010670.jpg

P1010672.jpg

P1010674.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend's work:

-We found an NOS Oil gauge which is on it's way.

-Painted the inside of the mudguards.

-Glass is now ready to install.

-Fitted a headlight bucket to see how it would look.:D

I'm looking for a solution to fit turning signals to the Dodge, on WC series, we'd just place them underneath the mudguards. I'm thinking of adding a pair of blackout marker lights like fitted to the early half ton WC's. i have a picture of a VC3 with them fitted on top of the headlights. i'm not sure though, still looking for options.

P1010678.jpg

P1010679.jpg

P1010680.jpg

P1010687.jpg

Dodge-VC-3-in-Holden-plant.jpg

Some restoration places sell a turn signal that is incorporated into the head light fitting. If you check "Chevys of the 40's" website you will find it. It takes a modern bulb (not a sealed beam). A novel way to incorporate turn signals. However, as you have mentioned, converting a black out marker might look more "period" correct. You could use a period set of Signal Stat turn signals, as this was an aftermarket kit to add to vehicles that did not have turn signals.

John G

You don't want them on top of the headlights. That VC 6 you saw with the lights on top had been fitted with a pair of 1940 Dodge civilian lights, with pods on top to allow the use of sealed beams, they won't look right on a military truck.

On the rear, try to find a pair of DODGE script lights with the DODGE curved. The repro 1940 rear light pods have the DODGE script straight where it should be curved.

I have enough VC parts here to allow me to fit that front axle - when I get it picked up, plus lights and hardware for the front of my 1940 panel.

Some restoration places sell a turn signal that is incorporated into the head light fitting. If you check "Chevys of the 40's" website you will find it. It takes a modern bulb (not a sealed beam). A novel way to incorporate turn signals. However, as you have mentioned, converting a black out marker might look more "period" correct. You could use a period set of Signal Stat turn signals, as this was an aftermarket kit to add to vehicles that did not have turn signals.

John G

Hi John,

Thanks for responding. Problem with the black out markers are fitting them. The fenders are very curvy. I like the first idea, no need for any additional lights then. I'll see if i can find a way to put a double filament bulb holder in them.

You don't want them on top of the headlights. That VC 6 you saw with the lights on top had been fitted with a pair of 1940 Dodge civilian lights, with pods on top to allow the use of sealed beams, they won't look right on a military truck.

On the rear, try to find a pair of DODGE script lights with the DODGE curved. The repro 1940 rear light pods have the DODGE script straight where it should be curved.

I have enough VC parts here to allow me to fit that front axle - when I get it picked up, plus lights and hardware for the front of my 1940 panel.

Hi Gordon,

Wasn't thinking of putting them on the headlights, don't like the look. I have a pair of these early blackout lights left from our 1/2 ton restoration. i'll keep the taillights in mind. Do you happen to know a source for repro King bee Hy-power reflectors? i have one original left, but still need another one and originals are quite pricey i have noticed.

Hello. don't know anyone that repros them, an original is probably the thing to go for. I use the Foto Ray 295's myself

When my TD20 arrived it had one original headlight, and one early T207 headlight with the blackout light slung off the side of it. I thought that might be a good spot for an indicator?

Hello. don't know anyone that repros them, an original is probably the thing to go for. I use the Foto Ray 295's myself

When my TD20 arrived it had one original headlight, and one early T207 headlight with the blackout light slung off the side of it. I thought that might be a good spot for an indicator?

Hi again,

Do you happen to have a picture of it? we were thinking of mounting them that way, but i'm wondering if there's enough space between the headlights and the mudguards to mount them? As for the reflectors, i think we'll go for a pair of lookalikes.

Thanks,

Niek

Top image on this page;

http://www.gwim2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/td20.htm

... note that the right headlight is the original 1939, identical to the VC military, but the left headlight has been replaced with a late 1940 T207 unit with the side mounted blackout pod.

I wouldn't mount the later type of headlight, but the pod does look appropriate hung off the side like that. If you didn't like it then you could always repair the hole and go back to the original look.