Dodge VC3 restoration

Removed the front sheet metal this week.

Also put the new crankshaft pulley and the brushguard rods in primer.

Hope to get the pulley in place next week.

The holes in the grille where the rods go through were damaged because the grille had stood loose for quite a while.

We welded the damaged parts of the grille and grinded it back in shape.

Also had to weld 2 small cracks which we missed last time.

Trim arrived from chrome shop, now just waiting for the spoiler, 25'' rims and subwoofers to arrive :cool2:

Just joking, wouldn't know how to mount a spoiler on a pick-up truck... :D

I'm looking for the special bolts and nuts which go on the trim, the ones which were on it were broken.

Hope to give the front sheet metal another layer of primer next week.

P1030399.jpg

P1030414.jpg

P1030424.jpg

P1030425.jpg

P1030428.jpg

P1030429.jpg

P1030430.jpg

Edited by Dodge'40-'45

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Removed the old pulley with our home-made crankshaft pulley extractor, new pulley installed.

Hope this one is good, this is the third...

First one had been machined to a smaller size and used with on oversize oilseal.

We did not know this and used a standard oilseal which caused excessive oil leakage.

Front sheetmetal got a new layer of primer yesterday, hope to put it in OD tomorrow.

Fitted the chrome trim to see how it looks, very pleased with it.

Just need to paint the frame around Dodge in an orange like colour, we found this when stripping paint from the old trim.

P1030433.jpg

P1030434.jpg

P1030442.jpg

P1030443.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since last post, so here's an update:

-Chrome trim has been installed

- Engine is getting a fresh layer of coat

- Engine parts have had a new layer of black

- Radiator and nose have been assembled again

This weekend we rubberized the inside of the front fenders and gave them a layer of OD.

We also painted the inside of the hood which is now also ready for mounting.

P1030497.jpg

P1030500.jpg

P1030501.jpg

P1030506.jpg

P1030507.jpg

P1030510.jpg

P1030512.jpg

Another day, work goes on.

A couple of months ago we discovered some leaks in the brake hydraulics. Some of the connections hadn't been tightened yet and others had been tightened too hard so the cone on the hose has split. We shortened the hose a bit and made some new cones. Luckely the hose was still long enough. Brakes are leak free (touching wood...:)).

We gave the firewall, chassis and front axle another layer of paint, should be the final layer.

Hope to put the engine back together by next week and put the nose on during next weekend.

P1030534.jpg

P1030535.jpg

P1030541.jpg

P1030540.jpg

Had another good day today.

We finished repainting the engine this week, all components also had a new layer of black.

Temperature meter, speedometer, choke and throttle are now connected.

so we were ready to put the nose back on.

All went surprisingly well. it's back on and correctly aligned with the cab.

newt step will be putting the splash panels on and the hood.

then we can get the mudguards back on.

P1030543.jpg

P1030545.jpg

P1030546.jpg

P1030549.jpg

P1030551.jpg

Engine is ready, just needs wiring and it's good to go.

Fitted the hood lacing today and put on the inner fenders and splashpanels.

Connected the vacuum line for the windscreen wipers, just need to connect it to the newly reconditioned wiper motors now.

Also fitted and adjusted the hood. It's quite a pain to allign these hoods correctly, theyre not very sturdy.

P1030555.jpg

P1030557.jpg

P1030559.jpg

P1030562.jpg

P1030553.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments. :)

We had another good day today, lots of tinkering (as usual :D)...

we put on the front mudguards and assembled all of the front sheet metal.

we're having a bit of a problem in finding a correct connection for the Oil gauge.

It seems like a conical nut but it's not the same as the later models.

Might be the same as a civillian pick up truck model?

any ideas maybe?

P1030584.jpg

P1030588.jpg

P1030590.jpg

P1030592.jpg

P1030566.jpg

You need the original oil line, later stuff won't fit.

I think there was a small bore line up to a hose, then after the hose there was a metal line through the bulkhead to the gauge, but the tube at the gauge had a nut and olive on it - different from everything else on the truck.

Vintage Power Wagons, Roberts Mopar maybe, but specify the fitting for the early rectangular gauge.

• 1 year later...
Nice, wish I still had mine but I had to make some space. I did keep a VC front which is going on that late 1940 van - when I get round to picking up that axle.

So many trucks, so little time.

Any VC parts you still need?

Hi Gordon, I believe I have just purchased the Dodge V3 you had in the past, I bought it from a guy in Brighton on the south coast, would like to make contact to find more about it.

Regards

Kevin

Found a complete oil line at Vintage Power Wagon.

2 steel lines connected with an oil hose.

Also found a right hand side mirror arm (i know it's not original' date=' since they only came with 1 on the drivers side but it's for safety purposes :-))

Cab interior is on it's way.[/quote']

Hi I have just purchased a Dodge VC3, I need to do a few jobs on it, would like to make contact as I believe I have the only one in England, are you taking yours to Normandy D Day celebrations this year.

Regards

Kevin

Hi I have just purchased a Dodge VC3, I need to do a few jobs on it, would like to make contact as I believe I have the only one in England, are you taking yours to Normandy D Day celebrations this year.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin, is it my old one, May Seventh 1940?

Gordon

Hi I have a VC3 in England, would like to make contact. regards Kevin

I have a pile of information about them,and my old one in particular, if anyone has any questions.

Hi Kevin, is it my old one, May Seventh 1940?

Gordon

Hi Gordon, I Believe it is, I have just purchased from a guy in Brighton, who said that he brought it from Scotland, also come with the spare command car chassis, Do you have any history on it, did you import it from the states, I have also tried to make contact with the guy in Belgium who also as one, but with out success, do you have his details.

Regards

Kevin

Hi again,

Sorry for not answering, kinda forgot about this thread. Our VC3 is still in about the same state as the pictures show in previous posts so we're not taking it to Normandy yet. We've got all parts needed for finishing the restoration, but some other motorcycle related projects got in the way :D. We hope to continue on it soon. Just needs wiring done and a coat of paint, Ours was made late april or early may, can't put a exact date on it since the dataplate is gone. If you need any info, just send me a PM and i'll see what i can do.

Regards,

Niek

Edited by Dodge'40-'45

• 4 weeks later...
Hi again' date='

Sorry for not answering, kinda forgot about this thread. Our VC3 is still in about the same state as the pictures show in previous posts so we're not taking it to Normandy yet. We've got all parts needed for finishing the restoration, but some other motorcycle related projects got in the way :D. We hope to continue on it soon. Just needs wiring done and a coat of paint, Ours was made late april or early may, can't put a exact date on it since the dataplate is gone. If you need any info, just send me a PM and i'll see what i can do.

Regards,

Niek[/quote']

Good evening Niek

Thank you for your reply, sorry for the delay getting back to you, been to Normandy for D day and just got back, a bit quiet there this year, I think every one was worrying about the French strikes.

I got my VC3 running now, 1st trip out this weekend, do you know any dealers that keep Dodge VC Parts. Also been looking for a parts book, got the TM 10 1181 Manual. Have you converted yours to 12v or kept it to 6v.

Regards

Kevin

• 10 months later...