Rolls royce b81 into a saladin ??

Fugly

Just a passing thought , but could a RR B81 be installed into a Saladin. I have an ex - Stalwart B81 configured with a dry sump. Could it go into a Saladin ?. The engines dimensions on paper are the same . The B80 Gearbox mounting casting fits the B81 - holes seem identical. I have not studied the idea in depth but would assume there is someone out there who has installed a B81 in place of a B80 in a MV. Before I get too carried away with the idea could someone please point out the blindingly obvious? ( I do have a mint B80 sitting in its crate just in case....) but maybe that extra HP attracts !!

Just a passing thought , but could a RR B81 be installed into a Saladin. I have an ex - Stalwart B81 configured with a dry sump. Could it go into a Saladin ?. The engines dimensions on paper are the same . The B80 Gearbox mounting casting fits the B81 - holes seem identical. I have not studied the idea in depth but would assume there is someone out there who has installed a B81 in place of a B80 in a MV. Before I get too carried away with the idea could someone please point out the blindingly obvious? ( I do have a mint B80 sitting in its crate just in case....) but maybe that extra HP attracts !!

Technically, Yes, its the same set up. We have a B 81 set aside as our "spare"

Cheers

Nick

CWC Canada

Alvis did it! May 1965 according to the Bill Munro book was when it was proposed to the War Office but only 2 prototypes were built in June 1966. There were mods made to the gearbox and cooling to cope with the extra power apparently. One prototype was produced for the British Army, the other for the Americans. In the event neither were delivered.

Tom Packham the Alvis test driver described the vehicle as being transformed by the extra power.....

Has it ever been done on a privately owned one? Well I dont know but it sounds like the sort of thing Dave Perks might have done? I'm pretty sure he has mentioned in the past about dieselising one.

PS I think the lack of power was always seen as a bit of an issue, but comparing it to a Fox is probably a bit unfair!!

Bran Dragovic ?

Bumped into him at the Alvis show in August, with his Saladin, but I thought he told me he got the engine from a Saracen for it..

Nice chap, need to catch up with him at some point about his accumulator recharging apparatus which looked really quite clever..!

Bran Dragovic ?

Bumped into him at the Alvis show in August, with his Saladin, but I thought he told me he got the engine from a Saracen for it..

Nice chap, need to catch up with him at some point about his accumulator recharging apparatus which looked really quite clever..!

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/member.php?824-Bran-D

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?33045-Ozzie-Saladin&p=365950#post365950

It would be an interesting proposition, the extra power on the gearbox might be a problem on a combat vehicle in arduous long term conditions but my baby wont be getting thrashed too hard - unless the revolution comes and I might need to go shopping in it ! Well no one has pointed out any major flaws at the moment - cooling I understand because of the pulley layout , but I am considering fitting twin electric fans and a truck radiator, which may help the MPG and reliability. Ideally I would like to end up with an extremely reliable vehicle , with power on tap. Not that a Saladin shouldn't be reliable if well maintained of course.... For those interested - this is what a B80 looks like fitted into a replica Bentley.bentley B80.jpg

It would be an interesting proposition, the extra power on the gearbox might be a problem on a combat vehicle in arduous long term conditions but my baby wont be getting thrashed too hard - unless the revolution comes and I might need to go shopping in it ! Well no one has pointed out any major flaws at the moment - cooling I understand because of the pulley layout , but I am considering fitting twin electric fans and a truck radiator, which may help the MPG and reliability. Ideally I would like to end up with an extremely reliable vehicle , with power on tap. Not that a Saladin shouldn't be reliable if well maintained of course.... For those interested - this is what a B80 looks like fitted into a replica Bentley.[ATTACH=CONFIG]83505[/ATTACH]

I work, full time restoring MV's, but in my spare time, build hot rod bikes and cars, So I very much like this use of a B-80 !

Any mods to gain HP? or is it stock?

Thanks for the Pic

Nick

CWC Canada

From my knowledge of the project it is an entirely stock Rolls Royce B80 , except that it was a brand new GAS powered B80. The engine was found in Australia in a crate , with all the components for Gas operation ( which I have photos of ). The parts for the gas conversion are all available for sale if anyone is interested . See pics There is a manifold with oil filter , and several other parts. Additionally there is a 24v civilian starter motor.20130708_190916.jpg

20130708_184850.jpg

20130708_190746.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I believe that the B81 uses the same block casting as the B80 but has a bigger bore. To achieve this they have had to 'siamese' bore, making each pair of cylinders close together. Apparently this makes the cooling of the engine critical and they will often fail if the cooling system is not up to the job.

Anyone who has driven a Saladin for an extended period will confirm that the engine bay cooling is not only poor, but dangerous! The exhaust manifold heat shielding is not good enough to prevent the red-hot mainfolds from heating the off- side fuel tank to an alarming temperature. It is also quite usual for any stowed iems on the rear mudguard to overheat and smoulder! A simple soution is to bypass the tank on that side (there are 2 others) and perhaps fill it with water instead.

When I received one of my Saladins for restoration I noticed that the rear pinions had been removed from the final drive epicyclics. This was apparently to enable suspended towing, without the rest of the wheels thrashing about. I was told that it was reasonably common to leave these pinions in the toolbox whilst the Saladin was not required for arduous off-roading. It considerably reduced the 'wind up' of the transmission common to these 6 wheeled vehicles. The road-going performance was much better! It only takes a few minutes to 'pop' them back in.

08122008005.jpg

20072008002.jpg

Jon

Hi ALL

As said Alvis "Stalwaltized" a saladin back in the dark ages so it can be done. They also used stolly brakes, A great idea more power and speed and better brakes is a good idea. As others have said im sure there must be someone who has done this if not why not. The gearbox should be ok as long as its not driven like a squaddie. In my saladin i have stripped the transfer from the rest of the box to leave a shaft. I am using a M.A.N 150 6 Cylinder diesel N/A. It revs to 4000rpm and 395ftlb torque using a manual gearbox and the prop going to the shaft. Sounds simple.....! I did the same with a saracen i used a jag 4,2 with auto box. Worked well. Ill post pics when i have the engine in.