Help Identifying Saracen? Parts

Starfire

Hi All,

The following bits and bobs were floating around in the back of my Saracen when I got it. If any of you can help me identify them, that would be greatly appreciated.

The table lists the observable part numbers.

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Description

[/TD]

[TD]Part Number

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Tool

[/TD]

[TD]FV 55751

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Round plate, 5 bolt holes

[/TD]

[TD]5868-2

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Padded bracket

[/TD]

[TD]FV 639090

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Large curved bracket

[/TD]

[TD]FV 122851

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Small storage bin

[/TD]

[TD]FV 55327

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I think this may be a muzzle cover for a Browning.

WP_20131020_055.jpg

WP_20131020_056.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this should be on my engine.

WP_20131020_060.jpg

This too.

WP_20131020_062.jpg

WP_20131020_070.jpg

WP_20131020_075.jpg

WP_20131020_077.jpg

This is an actual product that you can buy in Australia. It does exactly what it says on the can and works a treat.

WP_20131020_079.jpg

WP_20131020_080.jpg

I'm fairly certain that this panel is not for a Saracen. It appears to be a horn button and indicator switch and has a flasher unit on the back of it.

WP_20131020_084.jpg

I'm fairly certain that this is not a Saracen part either.

WP_20131020_088.jpg

I could not find any markings on this.

WP_20131020_089.jpg

This spring loaded plunger is behind the seats on the left side of the vehicle and appears to retain something against the rear bulkhead.

WP_20131020_105.jpg

Cheers,

Terry

WP_20131020_100.jpg

Thanks,

Since my vehicle is fitted for a GPMG, I guess I don't need a browning cover. If anyone wants it, let me know.

I knew that there was a special tool for the flywheel and figured I had to buy one, so that's a win :)

Cheers

Terry

Hi, first one is a muzzle cover for the Browning - quite old that one. number two is a tool for removing the filler plug on the fluid flywheel. It holds the filler plug captive as you don't rearly want to drop it down into the vehicle.

I learn't something too! How does it hold the plug, is it magnetic?

I learn't something too! How does it hold the plug, is it magnetic?

No not magnetic; the end is a simple socket the fits over the plug and the knurled end is then turned to screw into the plug. The plug is then captive to the tool so it can then be removed by turning the whole tool with a spanner or socket and ratchet. Problem if you happen to lose the plug down into the depths you cannot move the vehicle as the fluid flywheel will turn and empty out all the oil. Been there done that on a Saladin in a former life. I wasn't popular!

No not magnetic; the end is a simple socket the fits over the plug and the knurled end is then turned to screw into the plug. The plug is then captive to the tool so it can then be removed by turning the whole tool with a spanner or socket and ratchet. Problem if you happen to lose the plug down into the depths you cannot move the vehicle as the fluid flywheel will turn and empty out all the oil. Been there done that on a Saladin in a former life. I wasn't popular!

If you drop a plug it is more serious than losing the oil, it has to be removed else it will damage the flywheel on starting. We had a Fox come in to REME wksps, with a bad leak, found that a squaddie from a unit had dropped the plug and fitted a replacement, when it started up the plug got caught up resulting in the flywheel cover being cracked and mullered.

• 2 weeks later...