Are these any use to anyone.... Spot the item, a new and exciting game.....

yoz1881

Question

Hello so I posted some images in the 'spare bulbs tins' thread and it would appear there may be a few items of interest to people and I'm on mission to empty the sheds and find the parts the right home. A couple of bulb tins and tool boxes have gone and some interest in sockets on previous post which i will measure and answer. I'll repost the original photos and plenty more to come. Regards Andy

DSC_0588.JPG

DSC_0587.JPG

DSC_0586.JPG

DSC_0585.JPG

DSC_0584.JPG

DSC_0582.JPG

DSC_0581.JPG

DSC_0580.JPG

DSC_0579.JPG

DSC_0578.JPG

DSC_0577.JPG

1.JPG

DSC_0589.JPG

DSC_0582.JPG

DSC_0581.JPG

DSC_0580.JPG

DSC_0579.JPG

DSC_0578.JPG

DSC_0577.JPG

DSC_0583.JPG

• Answers 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

No problem, I'm going to the big barn for next couple days so will take the photos with me and ill be back in the 'real world' on friday. :)

Hello,

Andy i'd be happy enough with that screwdriver in my tool kit, put it and the sidelight maurice wants, the one on the right with the flat lens, in my pile please.

This is great, :-D

This a very rare item, its a vintage british made engine heater (you see them with a paraffin pot usually in this style). However this one is 240v ceramic electric which places it between 1905-1930 ish (anti freeze) in terms of effectual 240v distribution, but could be from 1905 when first big houses got electric on minor grids. It may be off the old boys vintage rollers, alvis, singers etc and his dad worked for Rolls on merlin/spitfire fuel systems so probably could afford it. I can't find another one. Not sure it would fit military unless they used generators to 240v or had mains early (which they probably did)? Interesting item, its not going to be a tenner lol....

1.JPG

DSC_0502.JPG

DSC_0503.JPG

Ok my favourite find thus far. There was a big crate of tools, rusty as you like. At the bottom, rusty but with a very bright non rusty bit was this. Its a snap on m70 ferret 3/8 drive, not unusual other than the 24ct gold lever! Snap on still make gold lever specials today but they stopped between during the wars due to metal prices etc. This one is G stamped which means its a British Government issue 1945 of an American tool. I'm guessing end of war thank yous, not everybody got one, my grandad got to live with some japanese metal in him for his troubles. The gents father was Chief Engineer on Merlins and in particular was responsible for spit fuel system which as we know progressed rapidly over the variants. I suspect this was his, a little gift through Rolls via government - I can see the presentation and all that 'jolly well done chaps, roger that etc..... :) Theres an american on ebay with a 1947, saying its brass, I polish vintage brass, after 80 yrs in a toolbox of rust brass looks like **** m8.

DSC_0517.JPG

DSC_0518.JPG

DSC_0519.JPG

Cool that nice. The 2 jacks have gone already (Im holding them for a chap in Afgan , guess he isn't on his hols. I'll keep an eye out....

Hello Andy,

Another picture for you, of the bedford jack.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82232[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82233[/ATTACH]

it has the broard arrow and a date cast into it, of course any jack with a war time date will be of interest, then we can workout what they are from.

John

Big hand winch - Mann Egerton of Norwich which was a military factory, hard to date this and could have been on anything. Handle turns but don't know how to engage drum. Nice for a restore. Still made in a time when we actually built great stuff so not a recent thing ;)

DSC_0530.JPG

DSC_0528.JPG

DSC_0529.JPG

Big hand winch - Mann Egerton of Norwich which was a military factory, hard to date this and could have been on anything. Handle turns but don't know how to engage drum. Nice for a restore. Still made in a time when we actually built great stuff so not a recent thing ;)

running a search they made ambulance boxes for Austin K2's among other things

would the lights be off an Austin?

Edited by fesm_ndt

Don't know if Land Rover is a dirty word or not, but in the shed i have a series one gearbox for a petrol including bell/thrust, transfer cases and all the gears, bars etc in a very nice wooden army box all in component bits. I'm guessing the timber box (gun case) is older than the gear box so someone stripped and stored it. I can photo it but it a bit hard to get at atm......

It may be the case, I've just sold a load of butlers, lucas and rotax car and tractor lights and whilst a 7 inch lucas was a common light, it looks older than some i had. It has no lucas numbers on it which is odd and the little black austin light does have numbers for A7 but with that bracket it wouldn't be right. The cone is dented at the back more than most which i'm thinking it had a harder life (more exposed maybe) than if it was on a seven. There is something about the pair of them which is why i kept them back.... hmmm

My dad knew of Manns in Norwich, he said 'good engineers' which is high praise indeed from my dad.... :)

running a search they made ambulance boxes for Austin K2's among other things

would the lights be off an Austin?

Just found this with no carb :)

http://www.lilypadspeedshop.nl/a-8599239/carburetor-manifolds/aluminium-manifold-c11a-6520-c2-with-hyrise-oil-inlet/

Ford flathead v8- classic lump on ford cars and trucks - 1932 -1953...... 325 euros with a carb:)

wiki do da says ' n late 1938 Ford introduced V8-81A,[10] commonly called the "24 stud" engine because it uses twenty four studs to hold down each head. This engine debuted at the same time as the 239 motor. With 6.12:1 compression,[10] horsepower remained the same, but torque increased by 2 lb·ft (2.7 N·m). In 1939, as the V8-91A, compression increased to 6.15:1, power rose to 90 hp (67 kW), and torque reached 155 lb·ft (210 N·m);[10] the ratings remained the same for the 1940 V8-01A, 1941 V8-11A, and the last civilian model, the V8-21A, which saw compression rise, to 6.2:1.[10] This engine was used through 1942 for civilian use and saw some use in military vehicles during World War Two. Collectively all 221 motors are commonly referred to as "85 horse" motors. '

That is indeed a V8 manifold. The C indicates Canadian manufacture. I don't think it's a CMP truck with that carb and filler tube.
Edited by yoz1881

I think 325 euro is about 176 something gbp which once you covert in Welsh groats and back again is about 100 gbp which would be fine.... :wow:

Just found this with no carb :)

http://www.lilypadspeedshop.nl/a-8599239/carburetor-manifolds/aluminium-manifold-c11a-6520-c2-with-hyrise-oil-inlet/

Ford flathead v8- classic lump on ford cars and trucks - 1932 -1953...... 325 euros with a carb:)

wiki do da says ' n late 1938 Ford introduced V8-81A,[10] commonly called the "24 stud" engine because it uses twenty four studs to hold down each head. This engine debuted at the same time as the 239 motor. With 6.12:1 compression,[10] horsepower remained the same, but torque increased by 2 lb·ft (2.7 N·m). In 1939, as the V8-91A, compression increased to 6.15:1, power rose to 90 hp (67 kW), and torque reached 155 lb·ft (210 N·m);[10] the ratings remained the same for the 1940 V8-01A, 1941 V8-11A, and the last civilian model, the V8-21A, which saw compression rise, to 6.2:1.[10] This engine was used through 1942 for civilian use and saw some use in military vehicles during World War Two. Collectively all 221 motors are commonly referred to as "85 horse" motors. '

A nice young chap already bought this but I packed it up to keep for him and gave it a quick clean. This one appears to say Rudge which I know well being a black country boy. Interesting Ive loads of spanners like BSA bike spanners which in civil spanner sales must be stamped BSA or no interest, yet one is by a small maker in dudley, similarly the anderson rat tail spanner is by tgw of willenhall, a back street manufacturer. This is a big socket for rudge, they made bikes. Am i right to assume given the likes of BSA during the war were quite busy, or bombed so hard they got all the small engineers around brum to make the spares and tools - would appear logical, all these small makers got taken over by the goverment for the war?, when prior they were making mowers, tools and small blacksmithing. I know in fordson stuff you get various makers or copies of tools? Anyhow its sold and a virtual handshake is a virtual handshake..... :)

DSC_0595.JPG

DSC_0593.JPG

DSC_0594.JPG

My tins arrived today many thanks Andy :-D

Hello so I posted some images in the 'spare bulbs tins' thread and it would appear there may be a few items of interest to people and I'm on mission to empty the sheds and find the parts the right home. A couple of bulb tins and tool boxes have gone and some interest in sockets on previous post which i will measure and answer. I'll repost the original photos and plenty more to come. Regards Andy

arrowed military shoval, its been polished and restored including ash handle using my own trees to same on it but without rot, didn't realise it was military. I've got a one made by cws as well, need to finish handle, won't be long :)

DSC_0677.JPG

DSC_0679.JPG

DSC_0678.JPG