Can anyone identify this wheel on my enfield?

Enfield 42

I don't think that is even a Royal Enfield hub? I can't see a speedo drive boss.....unless it's behind the forks? Which would suggest pre war when speedos were an option or trials bike. I've been studying pictures of Enfield models back to 1937 and most pre war seem to have the raised edge round the brake plate. Here is my WD/CO and 39 WD/D. Ron

RE for John 006.jpg

WDD 027.jpg

Edited by Ron

I believe that Jan ('Rewdco') identified that the alloy WD/C brake plates were not used on civilian production but were developed for the pre-war Experimental lightweight tenders. Unfortunately, they seemed to have been a little on the weak side and there was a DME modification for the rear brake anchor at least.

If Ron can't identify the brake above then it almost certainly doesn't come from a WD contract and probably not from an impressed machine either. All I can say is that it definitely isn't Norton.

The front and rear Ally brake plates are the same casting but the front plate was machined for the Speedo drive, the rear brake plate was modified later by adding a steel plate to change the anchor point for the anchor away from the plate. I guess this removed the greater torque loading of the anchor point on the ally and spread the pressure over a greater area. The only reason they stopped using the ally plates was due to the aircraft industry requiring all the ally they could get.

Hi Chris, Thanks for that I am hoping you can help me out when you come back in July in regards to the wheel. This was the wheel on the bike when it had been resprayed. This maybe a stupid question but could the brake plate be wrong, or the hole wheel?. Confused.com :blush:NickCap.JPG

Hi from me also Chris.

Your whole wheel is wrong I think. Unless my eyes are deceiving me. You only have 36 spokes in that wheel instead of the normal 40. The only WW2 WD bike wheel that I know of with 36 spokes is the Ariel W/NG front. I wonder if Ariel used the reduced spoke pattern on any of their pre war bikes or who else did? Ron

WING 003.jpg

Adding to your comments Ron, Ariel parts lists reveal a cast iron and a steel hub on certain contracts.....I wonder if the brake plates also varied....? My own W/NG has hubs marked "Qualcast"........same as the lawnmower ??? lol.....:D

Ah yes Steve. I remembered that there was a a name cast into my W/NG front hub and sure enough 'Qualcast'. Strange how these firms had to diversify for the war effort. Like 'Villiers' for instance. Who we all associate with their sweet little two stroke engines. I just saw a book which told of their manufacture of fuses for bombs and shells. Ron

WING 038.jpg

Hello I am currently looking for a Royal Enfield WDCO front wheel, the one I have on it works fine, but is incorrect for this bike. Holy Grail search. Thanks Ron for helping me in regards to other solutions to my dilemma. [ATTACH=CONFIG]77506[/ATTACH]

Its a 1950s BSA Bantam D1 front wheel, see here

http://www.owensmotorcycles.co.uk/spares-wheels-bsa-bantam-d1-front.html

Well that solves that one! No such thing in my shed. I loose interest after 1945........However I wouldn't mind a Tiger Cub like my first bike or my courting C12.........I might have to build a small post war wing??? Ron