Yellow zinc chromate primer

fv1609

I suspect the original paint on my Humber Pig gearbox was yellow zinc chromate. Although with time & grime it is not easy to be certain of the original shade of yellow!

The only thing that fits the bill in terms of zinc chromate, colour & use that I can find in VAOS & COSA is specified as Lemon BSC 355.

I see Halfords do aerosols of zinc primer in various colours, one of which is a bright yellow judging by the plastic cap. Has anyone used this? Does it look like the desired colour? All other outlets for zinc primers are red oxide & grey, even some that are water based which doesn't sound too durable.

I checked which Halford stores had it in stock, but the stock checker is none too clever as you can't check which particular colours are in stock.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_173576_langId_-1_categoryId_255239

think proper zinc chromate primer ie the nasty stuff got banned years ago for private use

I've got some in Eau de Nil, but that was before there were warning labels on tins.

I think I'll just have to get a can of the yellow stuff from Halfords & if it looks ghastly then I'll just use it as a primer to be covered up on other projects rather than the one & only coat on the gearbox.

Just trying to rid of the all pervading olive drab that covers major assemblies on rebuilds in 1972 which took 350-550 man hours.

I've got some in Eau de Nil, but that was before there were warning labels on tins.

I think I'll just have to get a can of the yellow stuff from Halfords & if it looks ghastly then I'll just use it as a primer to be covered up on other projects rather than the one & only coat on the gearbox.

Just trying to rid of the all pervading olive drab that covers major assemblies on rebuilds in 1972 which took 350-550 man hours.

Yellow is a bad colour to cover, you will need more coats than you think to achieve a good cover, I hate spraying yellow and it has a strong pigment that goes everywhere.

Well I went into Halfords & apparently it only comes in grey. I got them to search their site for "yellow zinc primer" & up it came in 6 different flavours!

So there is either some deception afoot or the page compiler is a nitwit:-D

So I have posted a review on the lines that it is a misleading advert, wonder whether that will see the light of day?

No surprise been told my review will not be used & was sent a warning about legal costs & all that sort of thing. I also complained to the website that it was misleading to show pictures 6 flavours when they were not actually available. My comments were going to be 'passed on', but the advert still shows 6 coloured cans.

Thought this might be the answer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320638988256?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I asked them was the yellow something close to BSC381C Lemon 355? But had no reply, so not very inspiring.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it eventually came.

Not a bad match considering the original single coat would have been there for nearly 60 years.

Not that it matters anyway I suppose as nobody is going to see it.

It's never won a prize & not likely to, but at least I know its pretty much right :D

Dsc04636a_zpsa39c8289.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking very smart Clive. You have been busy over the last few days.:wow: Thanks for looking at my 'Avometers'. Much appreciated as always. :D I have noticed in the images that the chromate primer on your box originally was a little brighter than on mine. I suspect that is down to the usual issues associated with paint batching. All done to the same recipe, but subtle difference should be expected. Looking at my architectural paint colour swatches RAL 1018 appears close and is named 'Zinc Yellow'. I am now asking myself. 'WHY' did I not think of offering this up before. DOH!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::angry:angry.............. Your Piggy will be out soon though no doubt, wearing the cleanest undergarments on parade.......... ;):yay::yay::yay::drive::drive::clap:

Edited by Rover8FFR
added content

Blimey Clive what a lovely job :wow: ! If she gets any cleaner you'll have to trailer her to shows !:angel: Good to see you are keeping busy mate ! :D

I've yet to do to the back end what I have done to the front end, but that will have to wait until winter.

I've now got a CCTV to fit hopefully more reliable than my previous lash up that flipped 'mirror image' to 'direct vision' whereby I was in lane two of what became 4-lane motorway & things seeming to overtake me on my left were really on the right:wow:

I'm hoping to respray it in the next week. For the last 5 years it has been in OD as a stop gap, although that is wrong it has disappointingly received no criticism. I now have paint that matches the Shorland, this regular causes upsets as it is perceived to be wrong, so looking forward to some criticism for that. Although I'm pleased to say the white interior & plywood floor continues to be a good stimulus for the critics :D