AEC Armoured Cars

RattlesnakeBob

I believe the IWM unit is complete. Of course he could just ask me for copies of the original interior layout illustrations, which I have somewhere .... :D

Gordon

It is indeed 90% complete, with radio kit as well, the only un-restored part is the cab but its all basically there. I have the stowage diags of the LP, version which is what the Duxford one is, if you would like copies.

• 2 weeks later...

hiya. very intresting reading the post on the dorchester, can some one tell me how many are left . yes there is one in duxford and one in a museum in dorset, theres one converted to timber tractor in northampton . i read on here theres one in scotland . one in new zealand museum and one in oz. and my one in essex. its unrestored , but runs and drives. has had the top half of the back end cut off , but still has the armer at the bottom . its 1943 and sitts a little taller than my 1944 matador timber tractor . they never had a winch fitted. i will get some help in putting some photos on here if your intrested . doug.

3.jpgthis is my 1943 dorchester matador , it was used to pull a set gallopers around and had 2 generators in the back of it.it was layed up for 35 years before i got it and it took us about an hour to get it running and driveing . its now kept undercover and will be restored to how it was on the fairground hopefully at the end of the year.we have other photos if you want to see them.

2.jpg

1.jpg

......will be restored to how it was on the fairground hopefully

I applaud that decision, chances are its showland life was longer than its military one.

My love of classic trucks stems from finding that "all the fun of the fair" was to be found around the generating plant rather than on the rides and stalls.;)

I look forward to seeing how your project progresses.

hi all thanks for the kind comments . it was brought by the downs family from an amry sale in the 1950s with another one . one was sold off almost as soon as they got it and the other (my one ) was kept. the cut most of the amer off and fitted 2 gardener lighting sets . they then travelled all over essex and kent and futher pulling there gallopers. the family still own the ride and it goes to dorset steam fair every year. they used it till the early 70s when it was replaced with 2 pickford scammell highwaymans . i have had it for about 3 years now . we got it running after it sat for about 35 years . we pushed around the field on a friday night of west bergholt rally in essex . much to our suprise after an hour it fired up and we drove it around the ring on the show days . i will sort out some more photos and put them on for you all. so as it spent most of its life on the fairground we dicided to restore it back to that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74073[/ATTACH]these were taken the day we picked it up .hope you like them.

Hello Doug.

This is my first post on here so please forgive me if I say some thing wrong. This is a very rare beast, there where very few Dorchesters built, and I think only one or possibly two survive in museums. It is interesting as the cab is not of the armoured pattern, but is more like a standard matador cab that has been mounted on the front of the internal armoured bulk head. I have a copy of the Stowage Diagram which may help with the interior layout in the Armoured command Vehicle role. if this would be of help drop me an email.

Cheers

Ian

hi ian it was a dorchester from new. when it went into showland use they needed to be able to see more from the windscreen so the tiny glass ones were taken out and caravan windows put in . as you can see from the front there is no fairleads for a winch cable as dorchesters were never fitted with a winch. also the fuel tank is sqaure and fitted tio the n/s and the air tank fitted to the f/s. normal matadors are the other way round . if you look at the front wings of mine and a armer one you will see they are the same . the control box is between the front seats on the back bulk head winch has a door on the n/s so the driver went through that and climbed over the engine cover to get to the drivers seat. the leaver you see in the n/s door is for the trailer brakes as fitted by the showman. . if you look at the photos of the back you can just see where the ribs were cut off for the back body. . i would like to know what they looked like inside as i have no idear.i would love to know how many were made and how many are left . as i have never had any replys to anything i have put in any clubs or on here. thanks doug

• 9 years later...
On 2/26/2013 at 3:38 PM, Pzkpfw-e said:

Bov does have an AEC MkIII Armoured Car.

http://www.cleeveprints.co.uk/bovington/DSCF0047%20(Large).JPG

This is on a Matador chassis.

F8827 is currently in storage at Kapellen, Belgium and is part of the Royal Museum of the Armed Forces. The third (known) survivor is at Kubinka.

10 years later I've come across this. :)  Is that a muzzle brake at the end of the gun, here?  There seems to be an aperture on the side, but it is not very large.  Or is it just reinforcing?