Wiring for Austin Champ

simondema

Question

Hi

As I am in the process of untangling the electrical mess on my Champ 1624, where can I buy the wiring with the attached Lucon connectors? Although the original wiring is still in the vehicle whoever had it before made a hatchet job of the connectors, as they are no longer waterproof.

Any information would be helpful.

Simon

Sydney, Australia

10 answers to this question

Simon,

you can buy almost anything you might need from Champ Spares

http://www.champ-sparesukltd.com/

You might however, find the prices for the looms a bit of an obstacle at

395GBP for the forward harness and 215GBP for the rear.

You can make up your own using the remnants of your original cabling, if it is still recognisable, which is what I will be doing.

Jack

Edited by mazungumagic

Simon,

you can buy almost anything you might need from Champ Spares

http://www.champ-sparesukltd.com/

You might however, find the prices for the looms a bit of an obstacle at

395GBP for the forward harness and 215GBP for the rear.

You can make up your own using the remnants of your original cabling, if it is still recognisable, which is what I will be doing.

Jack

Thanks for that. Yes, although I have not downloaded one of their catalogues, I can imagine the price to be such.

I noticed you seemed to have re-wired the instrument panel in one of your posts, as all the cable seemed a brand new blue colour. Where did you buy the cabling? The UK or Altmann in Victoria?

Behind this panel lies a jungle of painted and un-labelled cables:

INSTRUMENT PANEL AND IGNITION.jpg

I also noticed on Ebay UK that the Lucon rubber connectors appear to dismantle in 2 pieces. Is that true?

Simon

Simon,

If it's this photo you remember

Champinstrumentsrear7Jan12.jpg

... all I did was to salvage the ends (lucon/lucar ?? connectors) and solder them onto new wiring. The yellow plastic descriptors were either salvaged, or I had them in stock from the dismantling of two other Champs.

The individual wire locations are very well marked inside the instrument panel and the switchboard, so it would be hard to get the circuitry wrong.

The connectors are a two piece item - the metal pin is pressed inside the conical rubber block. They are not generally too difficult to separate and most scrub up very well, given their age.

Jack

Simon,

If it's this photo you remember

Champinstrumentsrear7Jan12.jpg

... all I did was to salvage the ends (lucon/lucar ?? connectors) and solder them onto new wiring. The yellow plastic descriptors were either salvaged, or I had them in stock from the dismantling of two other Champs.

The individual wire locations are very well marked inside the instrument panel and the switchboard, so it would be hard to get the circuitry wrong.

The connectors are a two piece item - the metal pin is pressed inside the conical rubber block. They are not generally too difficult to separate and most scrub up very well, given their age.

Jack

Hi Jack

thats exactly the photo I was thinking of. Glad to hear the Lucon connectors can be salvaged. Most of the wiring has been painted over and some has been replaced. Anyway it sounds it can be done.

Thank you

Simon

The Champ did not have brake lights or indicators as original equipment so both front and rear harnesses have no wires for these components. If you are reworking original harnesses you need to consider adding extra wires.

The Champ did not have brake lights or indicators as original equipment so both front and rear harnesses have no wires for these components. If you are reworking original harnesses you need to consider adding extra wires.

Yes, thanks for that. I have already seen evidence of extra wiring having been added by the previous owner.i am hoping to salvage as much as possible the Lucon connectors and their black rubber "sockets" which are located in various areas of the chassis and body.

i guess there is no particular product which would re- condition the rubber?

Cheers

simon

Somewhere I have some instructions for adding brake and turn signal lights using the original (spare) wiring. Something to do with the AUX cable, I think.

I've not reached that stage of my restoration yet, but it won't be difficult to incorporate that wiring, one way or the other.

Jack