38 BP 92-S/O FAR EAST LAND FORCES CENSUS RETURN 31 OCT 64

39 BP 02-S/O RUDDINGTON 15 MAY 63

39 BP 95-S/O FAR EAST LAND FORCES CENSUS RETURN 30 JUNE 64

41 BP 70-S/O EAST AFRICA CENSUS RETURN 31 MARCH 64

41 BP 91-S/O MALTA CENSUS RETURN 28 FEB 63

42 BP 09-S/O RUDDINGTON 26 AUG 63

THIS INDICATES THAT ALL THESE VEHICLES WERE ALLOCATED TO SAME UNIT ON 8

NOV 54. THE UNIT WAS LATER POSTED OVERSEAS; POSSIBLY MIDDLE EAST LAND

FORCES AS YOU HAVE FOUND DESERT COLOUR ON YOUR VEHICLE.

AS TIME WENT ON, THE LAND ROVERS WERE TRANSFERRED TO OTHER UNITS AND

THEATRES OF OPERATION.

YOURS AND TWO OTHERS RETURNED TO THE UK.

red 38.jpg

If I've got this right,

The number on the convoy disc (black 7) is the unit serial number (i.e. the 7th truck in the unit)

The red square is probably a branch of service marking indicating senior brigade (infantry), or senior regiment (armoured), or independant brigade (infantry) with the number indicating the serial number assigned to the unit.

Edited by Lauren Child

If I've got this right,

The number on the convoy disc (black 7) is the unit serial number (i.e. the 7th truck in the unit)

The red square is probably a branch of service marking indicating senior brigade (infantry), or senior regiment (armoured), or independant brigade (infantry) with the number indicating the serial number assigned to the unit.

thank you for your reply

A blue square could indicate the 2nd Canadian Division (as a formation sign), or more likely for the position a Royal Engineers Unit (as an arm of service sign).

If so, the previous bit I popped on about the red square being an arm of service marking is probably wrong - what's the location of that one?

If you're interested the books I'm using are

- Formation Badges of World War Two by Howard Cole, and

- World War Two Military Vehicle Markings by Terence Wise.

Both quite handy by the looks of things.

I can't remember where I came across the bit on the convoy light number.

A blue square could indicate the 2nd Canadian Division (as a formation sign), or more likely for the position a Royal Engineers Unit (as an arm of service sign).

If so, the previous bit I popped on about the red square being an arm of service marking is probably wrong - what's the location of that one?

If you're interested the books I'm using are

- Formation Badges of World War Two by Howard Cole, and

- World War Two Military Vehicle Markings by Terence Wise.

Both quite handy by the looks of things.

I can't remember where I came across the bit on the convoy light number.

the red square is in the middle of the door on both doors.

thank you for the titles of the referance books i shall look in to the these

and thank you for your input it is most welcome

Edited by Fusilier

Post war marking were all covered in depth by Clive Elliot. Do a search for his thread on Post War Military Markings in Clive's Corner. You will find the 1952 marking most helpful.

Red squares on both doors can be mis-leading. Sometimes on exercises opposing sides were marked with red or blue squares on the doors. As the cold war ended the red became orange as the Russians got upset!

Start with the damaged front wing. Use some wet and dry and slowly work back down through the layers to see what you can find? As you look at the vehicle from the front the left tended to have arm of service (Only good to indicate type of unit such as REME, RA, RAOC etc) and the right wing tended to have the unit markings which is what you really need to find. Take your time with rubbing down and take regular photos as it is all too easy to rub through stuff you wanted to keep/ though irrelevant.

First thoughts for the hole int he rear are a wheel well like in my mum's 80 inch series 1.

Post war marking were all covered in depth by Clive Elliot. Do a search for his thread on Post War Military Markings in Clive's Corner. You will find the 1952 marking most helpful.

Red squares on both doors can be mis-leading. Sometimes on exercises opposing sides were marked with red or blue squares on the doors. As the cold war ended the red became orange as the Russians got upset!

Start with the damaged front wing. Use some wet and dry and slowly work back down through the layers to see what you can find? As you look at the vehicle from the front the left tended to have arm of service (Only good to indicate type of unit such as REME, RA, RAOC etc) and the right wing tended to have the unit markings which is what you really need to find. Take your time with rubbing down and take regular photos as it is all too easy to rub through stuff you wanted to keep/ though irrelevant.

First thoughts for the hole int he rear are a wheel well like in my mum's 80 inch series 1.

Hello,ferret1958uk,

I best get on with the sanding and photos.

The wheel well sounds like a good idea I am going to look through my collection of MOD landy photos and see if any had the spare wheel fitted like this. may be it was ripped out to fit what ever went in to the bolt holes in the chassis.

"Post War Military Markings in Clive's Corner. You will find the 1952 marking most helpful". yes it is. this is my first Military resto and i am learning, i don't want to make mistakes with what goes where and why, by asuming anything and looking silly later. Still getting my head round it all.

thank you for your reply

Hello I think this marking is the Guards Armoured Division 'ever open eye' and the truck got this by: Look at this also please,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10th_Armoured_Division_(United_Kingdom), It shows 10th armoured was in Libya at this time 1950s I am starting to think along the lines of

The Armoured Brigade Signals Squadron was expanded to 10th Armd Div Signals in May-June 1956, based in Tripoli. It began to wind up in April 1957, and disbanded completely in September 1957.[9]

ever seeing eye veh markings 040.jpg

red 38.jpg hello I have identified the other markings I am having trouble with this one. It is on the lower door on both sides of the land rover. So far I have been given guesses as to what it is 1 storage mark, chalk mark for transport by air or sea and war games marking. please help clearly identify this.

On 12/6/2012 at 7:03 PM, soundhound said:

A picture from Malta 1964 has a 1 tonner with a white"8" on a red background. I have a feeling that Libya had a white "9".

I am the one with the set-square.....;-)

HopeRobin T Square Crop.jpg

this helps!

Hi Soundhound! my name's Julien and I am starting the restoration of a Rover 8 FFR 1964 dispatched to the 14/20th King's Hussars. Your picture interests me a lot because of an issue I have with my 98 EL 86. It was first dispatch in Dark Bronze Green to Germany, but ended in sandy desert colour without a documented explanation... I was wondering if it could have been sent to Libya or Cyprus in 1964/1965, just by the time you were there!

Do you know any way to get track record or evidence of its presence outside Germany?

Thanks in advance for your answer

23 minutes ago, Julien Chabin said:

I was wondering if it could have been sent to Libya or Cyprus in 1964/1965, just by the time you were there!

Do you know any way to get track record or evidence of its presence outside Germany?

Thanks in advance for your answer

14/20H were in Wavell Bks Benghazi, Libya between late 62 and Dec 65, having previously been in Hohne West Germany.  They left Libya for Cachy Bks Perham Down from Jan 66.  While in Libya, A Sqn was detached to Cyprus, for a tour with UNFICYP in May - Nov 65.

10 68

1 minute ago, soundhound said:

Hi Julien

best to get history card from here:    http://www.rlcarchive.org/VehicleSrch.aspx

good luck

Exactly, I got the history card that's why I know its regiment but it doesn't count with detailed information: no details on assignment within the 14/20 KH, only when it changed regiment.

One thing bothers me: the sandy desert colour. I am looking for a source that could say for sure my 98 EL 86 was sent to XXX and that explain it was painted sandy desert upon the DBG original (still appearing on some part, like inside part where stands the engine).

I can't imagine my Rover 8 FFR was painted sandy desert if it never leaved Germany!

14 minutes ago, 10FM68 said:

14/20H were in Wavell Bks Benghazi, Libya between late 62 and Dec 65, having previously been in Hohne West Germany.  They left Libya for Cachy Bks Perham Down from Jan 66.  While in Libya, A Sqn was detached to Cyprus, for a tour with UNFICYP in May - Nov 65.

10 68

That's correct and I thank you for the collaboration to discover the history of my Rover 8.

My problem is that B historical data Card says it was send in 1964 to Germany at the 14/20th KH as part of the BAOR. Then how can I explain the sandy desert colour!?

There is no markings appearing :((