J60 Jaguar 4.2l engine variations

robin craig

Question

• Answers 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am buying a Fox now in UK and after reading this thread, my excitement of purchase has now turned to trepidation. I plan to having the Fox completely overhauled before importing it to US, which will include engine removal for painting, etc. Is there anything that should be done/serviced/checked regarding the engine (other than fluid changes), to be "safe", since it's going to be out and easy to do?

The work will be done by Baz at trackfix.

Replying to my emails might help you

Robin

Robin, I apologize, I had it on my list to call you, but I got jammed before leaving on family vacation to Mexico and never did. I will call you when we are back in US.

I found the following article very interesting in considering the 4.2 engine.

It would seem that the latest block and crank should be used and rebuilt carefully if one must run a petrol motor.

Careful consideration of bearings might help with the oil starvation that seems to cause so many thrashed blocks.

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/xk-engine/index.php

Thanks for posting, interesting article. It does explain why these engines are quite fragile, especially in an AFV (for which they were not designed or intended). Running in that sort of an environment can't have done it any favors, I can see a few reasons (other than to run on low grade fuel) why they were de-tuned.

Made me think maybe I ought to prioritize an engine service!

I was planning on putting a 4.2 back in but it really gave pause thinking about all the potential failure points. It actually seemed like decreasing the displacement might have been a better way to do the de-tune as some thicker cylinder walls would have helped things but I suppose Jag would have had to make some investment for that to happen.

If one wanted to spend a lot of time and some money one *could* build one that had a reasonable expectation of a long life but it would take some doing: mid-80s crank with polished gallery bores and chamfered holes , late block (carefully magnifluxed), new pistons, flow the head, balance everything, add the groove in the crank journal bearing, carefully selected thermostat (what a thing to have to worry about)... what have I missed?

I guess it's a reminder to change oil frequently and verify your rust inhibitant in your coolant. I have used water-wetter in the past in some road-going vehicles and it seems to help.

And of course to have a recovery plan!

I am not a dyed in the wool military vehicle man (althoughafter reading your forum entries, I suspect I might become one). I am however aJaguar man and am currently writing an article on the Jaguar J60, XK variantfor the Jaguar Driver magazine. I have already been given an enormous amount ofhelp by Richard Frarrant and I wonder if I have your permission to use some ofyour images in the piece. I will of course acknowledge your help; if you will, pleasegive me a name I can print

Thank you in advance for your help.

RogerL

I found the following article very interesting in considering the 4.2 engine.

It would seem that the latest block and crank should be used and rebuilt carefully if one must run a petrol motor.

Careful consideration of bearings might help with the oil starvation that seems to cause so many thrashed blocks.

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/xk-engine/index.php

Are they really that bad in privately owned CVRT's though..? Certainly the 5.9's are more robust, but provided you're not wringing it's neck and you watch oil levels etc is it that big a problem?

At the end they had all been further detuned to 175bhp I believe... I have sold a few of these engines recently and they've not all been trouble free. One of my customers managed to put a two inch hole in the block, but he had spent the last 2 years bouncing it off the limiter - I declined a refund!!

By all means if you have to rebuild an engine, you may as well do it to the best possible standard, but if it ain't broke don't fix it!

I am not a dyed in the wool military vehicle man (althoughafter reading your forum entries, I suspect I might become one). I am however aJaguar man and am currently writing an article on the Jaguar J60, XK variantfor the Jaguar Driver magazine. I have already been given an enormous amount ofhelp by Richard Frarrant and I wonder if I have your permission to use some ofyour images in the piece. I will of course acknowledge your help; if you will, pleasegive me a name I can print

Thank you in advance for your help.

RogerL

Roger, feel free to use my photos. Please do post a link to the article on this forum, so we can all read it.

Gary Pave

Pennsylvania, USA