New acquisition

Degsy

Nice one welcome to the weasle club u will have great fun just hope for some snow again this year. Had to use mine to get to the shops

Thanks Tony, will be contacting you soon when I have made the final decision on re-marking it. It will definitely be US 1st Inf Div , probably Engineers.

Worth going on the m29 weasel forum but if u have any questions let me know , I have the smar tracks in mine and the original set. Great fun in the snow

Yes I will be going on that forum when I get chance and thank you for your kind offer, I'm sure I will need to take you up on it. I owe a debt of gratitude to Andy Singleton (Andy Weasel) who gave up his weekend to accompany me to Kent and who crawled all over and under the Weasel to check it out also Richard Farrant who was also on hand to give me the benefit of his considerable knowledge and experience. Thanks guy's I owe you one.

isnt that a standard weasel not a water weasel? or are they all amphibious?

It is an a M29c and as such is amphibious but to turn it into a water weasel it would need the add on tanks front and rear, they were mostly removed in general useage as they were cumbersome and restricted vision and cross country abilities.

The front tank is fitted with a capstan winch for self recovery and the rear tank has twin rudders, propulsion is via the tracks. Whether any original ones are still around I don't know but I am led to believe that repro ones are available...........

at a price.:wow:

Olaf you will be very welcome to a ride at A&E 2012 and I will need to talk to you about a new helmet once I have decided on markings required.

Thanks for the offer, I sure don't want to Weasel out of it. Hahaha? Not funny? Damn...

Let me know when you decide what you'd like.

I have seen this weasel in the flesh a couple of times, Mike did a great job of restoring it! You have bought one of the best! There are two types of repro tracks available, and the ones you have are by far the better ones for the road! but they do have a habbit of jumping off! For your information they were designed specifically for the wesel not a mini digger, but required the changing or the running gear to fit. Also the other ones known as LAR Tracks made in the states are much more expensive!

You are now in the one group of people desperatly hoping for 4ft of snow!

Jon

Olaf you will be very welcome to a ride at A&E 2012 and I will need to talk to you about a new helmet once I have decided on markings required.

G'day Degsy,

Congratulations on your new acquisition and welcome to the world of weasels.:cheesy: Can I offer a suggestion as to a choice of markings. Why don't you do your country proud and mark your weasel with British markings. The weasel I have here at home has served with British forces but carried duel markings (ie both the USA number and the Brit "P" number). Anyway food for thought. I have attached a photo of a Brit weasel and the Suppy Mech data plate that was affixed to Weasels destined for the UK.

Cheers

John W.

Neede - april 1945 - f.JPG

M29C_Weasel_USA_40186510_SUPPLY_MECH_6362.jpg

Hi John, thanks for your comments and photo's. The markings will definitely be changed, almost certainly to US 1st inf div and probably 1st engineers but a final decision will be made when I have completed my research. My GMC352 was marked for 32nd FA 1st inf div and all my kit is US issue. I would like to mark the weasel similarly but without definite proof that that they ever used weasels I will have to go with the engineer markings. Of course if anybody has definitive proof of use by 32nd FA I would be delighted to hear from them.

• 2 months later...

Hi John, due to a back injury I haven't been near it until yesterday. Went up to the farm , climbed aboard and it started first time which pleased me but I didn't take it out as I'm still a bit crook. Since it hasn't been out I'm afraid there are no more photo's but there is avid of it on youtube posted by the previous owner,

Best wishes for the New Year

Hi John, due to a back injury I haven't been near it until yesterday. Went up to the farm , climbed aboard and it started first time which pleased me but I didn't take it out as I'm still a bit crook. Since it hasn't been out I'm afraid there are no more photo's but there is avid of it on youtube posted by the previous owner,

Best wishes for the New Year

Get well soon mate ! :-D

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I was reading back through this old thread and realised that I had never posted the cure for the track problems which concerned a few people. It was quite simple, the tracks were too loose and after tightening them up they have given no further trouble despite trying very hard. Since I bought the weasel with the tracks already fitted I had no instruction paperwork but found the instructions for the tensioning of original tracks and using that as a general guide it was a fairly easy cure.

I'll happily sell it to you Olaf :-D In fact I intend putting it on the market because my damaged back is now making it increasingly difficult to use the Weasel. I'll be sad to see it go but needs must.

I'll happily sell it to you Olaf :-D In fact I intend putting it on the market because my damaged back is now making it increasingly difficult to use the Weasel. I'll be sad to see it go but needs must.

Considering how nice it looks we probably can't afford it. :-(