Mystery Object No. 7

fv1609

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of a RADIAC mast??

Strangely, just yesterday as I gave our Industrial Trainee a lift home, I mentioned items that were planned but we never saw.

Navaid: a gyroscopic positioning system designed to fit in a small space in the Scorpion engine compartment.

Radiac mast: a small mast to be mounted on the top centre fitting of a Scorpion turret.

Are you telling me that Radiac masts ever actually existed then?!?

The second pic made me think of the suspension arm tensioning strut (equivalent to a jack on a tracked vehicle) but the CVR(T) model looked nothing like that and on reflection it's far too complicated.

Yes you are right it isn't. If it helps there was only one per vehicle.

Neil yes very well spotted & researched. But that was only its storage position it could not be used where it is.

OK - we're getting somewhere at last!! Only one per vehicle implies it's central between the two missiles. The picture seems to imply the arm the devices rear pivots are attached to swings over and forwards and then the device rotates forward from there....

Is it

1) Some kind of brace used between the vehicle and the carrier in the lowered travelling position

or 2) Some kind of loading aid???

Only one per vehicle implies it's central between the two missiles.

Nope

Is it

1) Some kind of brace used between the vehicle and the carrier in the lowered travelling position

Nope & nope

Edited by Marmite!!
quoye tags

Strangely, just yesterday as I gave our Industrial Trainee a lift home, I mentioned items that were planned but we never saw.

Navaid: a gyroscopic positioning system designed to fit in a small space in the Scorpion engine compartment.

Radiac mast: a small mast to be mounted on the top centre fitting of a Scorpion turret.

Are you telling me that Radiac masts ever actually existed then?!?

Yep, I've got one for the Fox...

Nope

Is it

Nope & nope

Oh rats - wish I'd seen one of these in operation but I think they were before my time. Was I right about the way the linkage seemed to work? If so is it something to do with missile or the launchers system (struggling for hints here....)

I want to know when your doing the 'guess what this is and its yours'

I think success has gone to your head Paul. But I can reassure you that the next item planned will be on a guess & win it basis. May in fact be in time for your visit :wink:

Aren't you even going to guess at the current object? You will be allowed to have a full demonstration on your visit & even sniff it if you want to & take close up pictures to show your grandchildren, how many is it you have now?

When the missile is fired the guidance wire is redeployed - I'm guessing the crew don't wind it back in - so - a means of reloading the guidance wire???

Neil I would like to say yes for your determination & effort but no it isn't I'm arfraid. In trials & practices the wire was recovered as it was extremely strong & dangerous for livestock that frequented the fields around Lulworth. The technique was to use a hub fitted to a Land Rover & the wheel spun at high speed. Although gloves were worn there was no eye protection & it looked extremely dangerous to limb & eye.

Oh damn - really running out of ideas now.

It's not part of the trigger, firing, loading or aiming procedures.

It is part of the missile/missile carrier.

Missile is solid fueled so can't be fuelling, can't see it being a fuzing aid......

Can't see whats left now - but would love to see one of these in real life!!!!!

would love to see one of these in real life!!!!!

Well I take each year to the Great Dorset Steam Fair complete with the mystery object. After 12 years of showing nobody has ever asked what the mystery object does, very few ask about the missiles (which I would consider to fairly eye-catching) all I get is endless silly questions about the smoke dischargers. But I think you mean by real life, live firings. I do have footage of those but never witnessed the real thing.

Well I take each year to the Great Dorset Steam Fair complete with the mystery object. After 12 years of showing nobody has ever asked what the mystery object does, very few ask about the missiles (which I would consider to fairly eye-catching) all I get is endless silly questions about the smoke dischargers. But I think you mean by real life, live firings. I do have footage of those but never witnessed the real thing.

Actually - I'd like to see the vehicle itself. Maybe one day!! :-) :-)

Although seeing the firing footage would be good too!!

Neil I would like to say yes for your determination & effort but no it isn't I'm arfraid. In trials & practices the wire was recovered as it was extremely strong & dangerous for livestock that frequented the fields around Lulworth. The technique was to use a hub fitted to a Land Rover & the wheel spun at high speed. Although gloves were worn there was no eye protection & it looked extremely dangerous to limb & eye.

Flashback.

In 1977 I was Squadron Leader's Rover driver and invited to stay up at Otterburn while 15/19H GW Troop converted live Swingfires into smoking holes from their Mark 5 Ferrets.

Note I was actually a CVR(T) crewman by trade and although I had entered the Army already in possession of a full class A driving licence, I hadn't been trained on the Land Rovers or the Ferret I'd driven on ops in NI. I had the licence: that was enough.

Toward the end of the day I was invited to get my kit off. Turns out they meant a wheel off the Rover (77FM51 since you ask) so that I could wind in all the 4000m lengths of cable GW Troop had plastered all over OTA using a hub attached to a wheel station.

After a couple of minutes of winding in, I was asked if I was sitting with my foot on the brake. "Course I bliddy am: the thing will roll off down this hill if I don't."

"Well your wheel station is smoking quite nicely now. Trust me: you don't need to brake."

It is a transit locking device, and has to be removed (+ fin fitted) before firing (???)

Nope. Look at the MO No.7 & seem if it has any similar features to the missile & consider why this might be.