Garwood winch identification again

ACH

Question

I've picked up another Garwood winch today and the chap thought it originally from a GMC truck, I've had a quick scan on the the dreaded internet, the only thing I've found similar was on a Zil forum. Weren't the Zil's based on GMC design? The identification is more for personal interest.

There is one thing I noticed that I haven't seen before, there's been a series of holes drilled in the winch drum on the dog clutch side and a spring loaded peg, I presume this is to lock the drum into position.

Garwood pto winch 3.JPG

Garwood pto winch 2.JPG

Garwood pto winch 1.JPG

Garwood pto winch 4.JPG

Garwood pto winsh 5.JPG

9 answers to this question

I had a chance to steam clean it today, made a novice mistake though when removing the cable, I'll sort out the big tangle when I get a chance. But the cable is in excellent condition, still in it's red packing grease. The dog clutch is rusted to the shaft, the arm is bend and I can't quite work out by how much, the shaft support bush on the dog side is seized to the shaft and turning in the yolk. I've given it all a good coating of WD40 so I'm sure it will all free off.

The winch model number is 2U 512 and the serial number is A-216875.

Looks very much like a GMC winch, but the input shaft into the worm wheel housing on a GMC winch is on the left of the truck and left of the winch drum as you sit in the cab facing forwards, whereas in your pics it seems the worm wheel housing is on the right of the winch drum also the free wheel knob/lever seems much too long for a GMC.

Have been looking at the blogs section and there is a GTB with a front winch and that is driven from the right side and the handle looks the right length but is still bent. GTB were fitted with Braden and GAR Wood winches..

Edited by R Cubed
found gtb fitted with winch

I've had a look at the GTB blog, also had a look on Google but couldn't find one with a Garwood winch.

It looks like the drum itself comes in 3 parts, is this normal for a Garwood winch? The other ones I've had in the past have had drums that are cast in one piece.

There's always the posibility that the winch has been stripped and swapped around to suit a different application, the rally season is starting soon, I'll start looking round vehicles when I go to the shows.

One of the winches I had before took about 6 months to identify it, it wasn't until I went to the Muckleburgh collection that I found it was off the front of a White half track.

looks like it could be a GTB winch, they were fitted with both Braden MU5 and Gar wood 10,000lb winches.

heres the best pictures i have of a GTB with a Gar wood winch

P.S i got my eye on that clutch lever is its up for grabs?

1515.jpg

0111100800.jpg

It's very close, couldn't see the ring of holes in the end of the drum and the lever is on but as I said this could have been changed. But if I end up using it and not using the lever I will let you know as it will need to be operated from the back of the truck.

Looks similar to a dukw winch

I reckon you're right, the lever is in the right place, could do with a decent picture of the winch on the back of the dukw. I was watching my beach recovery video today but couldn't get a good look, but what I saw looked similar.