L1a1 slr

tinweasle

Wasn'r thwere there was .22 slr training kit?. There was a .22 SMLE the No2, I have one. This was manufactured as .22 not a Paker Hale conversions. The SMLE I was thinking of was the No5 Jungle carbine. The SMLE 2 is on the No 1 woodwork and sights, including volley! They use the Long lee bolt. Manufactured around 1907 for cadet and training use.

Edited by Tony B
Brain engaged, thumb removed from ....

• 1 month later...
Wasn'r thwere there was .22 slr training kit?. There was a .22 SMLE the No2, I have one. This was manufactured as .22 not a Paker Hale conversions. The SMLE I was thinking of was the No5 Jungle carbine. The SMLE 2 is on the No 1 woodwork and sights, including volley! They use the Long lee bolt. Manufactured around 1907 for cadet and training use.

There was a .22 conversion kit. Made by H&k for the S.L.R. 7.62 Enabling shooting to be carried out in small ranges for ease.

For interest i used to shoot a .22 rifle with Martini-Henry action, those Zulu's never had a chance!

Hi, I'm currently on the lookout for a nice L1A1 and I just wondered if there was anything I should know before I part with my cash?

I have found a short barreled version that I may be intrested in but I dont seem to be able to find any info about them, all I know is that it has the later black furniture annd dosnt have anywhere to mount a sling, I have been told that they were used by snipers, but to me this sounds wrong, anybody know more?

cheers

Shaun

Shaun, re- what S.L.R. to get and depends on how pedantic you want to be. Does your Landrover have a date you are representing? Wood furniture on the rifle was phased out for plastic due to NBC de-contamination. I briefly had wood furniture S.L.R. issued during my R.A.F. Regt. training at Catterick (1985). Half way through and was given a plastic one.

Dave

Oh it goes bang mate! As often as I can get to the range! :-D Parker Hale modified a number on SMLE No1 to .22 this one was built as .22 I also have one of the last batch of Mossberg MB42a .22 rifles supplied to Britsh army from 1939 to 1941 as a training rifle. The sights on that are Parker Hale, and cost more than the rifle. It is marked 'Property of the United states'..