Pre 1960 vehicles,,,who can drive it

You may draw an unladen trailer behind a pre 1960 HGV without HGV licence (depending on your age). You will need an HGV licence to tow a laden trailer behind any HGV irrespective of age of vehicle.

So if you had a pre 1960 HGV you don't need an HGV license but is there a weight limit on this or could you drive ... say an Antar :nut:

So if you had a pre 1960 HGV you don't need an HGV license but is there a weight limit on this or could you drive ... say an Antar :nut:

Yes, although my Antar was 1961, not pre 1960. (although some would argue that Antar being a locomotive, and authorised only under STGO it may not be an HGV.

Interestingly historically Motor Tractors, Light and Heavy locomotives never used to need an HGV licence to drive them, even when towing laden trailers.

The position with these vehicle classes is not clear under present scheme, (well it's not clear to me anyway.)

so if its a army vehicle registred as agricultural on the log book can it be driven at 16 years of age ? thanks

No.

A motor tractor is designed for road use and is not the same as Agricultural tractor, which is designed primarily for Off Road use, on agricultural land.

Agricultural registered vehicles must be constructed or adapted for off road use, primarily, for the purposes of Agriculture, Horticulture or Fisheries.

An Agricultural vehicle has to have is primarily use off road, on agricultural land. If such use is not the greatest part of the use of the vehicle, it is not Agricultural.

Having Agricultural on the log book does not make it agricultural, Its use in agriculture makes it Agricultural, and unless it is being used for these purposes its registration in that class is an error, and any privileges or perks associated with that class cannot be used. Having a vehicle registered in the wrong taxation class is also an offence.

And Agric motor vehicle is different from Agric Tractor.

Should an Army truck be registered Agric, it would be as Agric Motor vehicle, not as Agric Tractor.

Rules for Agric Tractor are Minimum age to be able to drive any Agricultural tractor is 17.

Certain Agric Tractor can be driven at 16 but only if under 2.45m Wide, and then can only tow one trailer also under 2.45m wide, but only if it has only two wheels or is four wheeled, close coupled trailer.

If the driver of an Agric Tractor does not hold a full licence, they can drive un-accompanied only if a single seat is provided. If the Tractor has two seats, the learner must be accompanied by a full licence holder.

I can see nothing to indicate a 16 or a 17 year old can drive an Agricultural Motor vehicle.

Edited by antarmike

• 6 months later...

This subject has been covered pretty well - except - as far as I can see for the over 70's!

When you become 70, certain legal regulations kick in as to what ordinary commercial vehicles you can drive - by weight limitation. I understand that if you have a medical examination and the Doctor says that you are still fit then you can carry on driving the vehicles that you have always driven.

I have not had such an examination - but does that restriction apply to pre-1960 preserved vehicles of perhaps maximum 5 tons unladen weight - or would I have to go through all that rigmarole?

Tony

Edited by Minesweeper

This subject has been covered pretty - except - as far as I can see for the over 70's!

When you become 70, certain legal regulations kick in as to what ordinary commercial vehicles you can drive - by weight limitation. I understand that if you have a medical examination and the Doctor says that you are still fit then you can carry on driving the vehicles that you have always driven.

I have not had such an examination - but does that restriction apply to pre-1960 preserved vehicles of perhaps maximum 5 tons unladen weight - or would I have to go through all that rigmarole?

Tony

I think that its correct to say that people who have passed their car test since 1997 and are restricted to 3.5 tonnes with commercial vehicles can drive a pre 1960 historic (unladen) vehicle. I can not find anything in the DVLA regs that say that once you have reached 70 years of age (I am 74) and you have your entitlement reduced to 3.5 tonnes you can no longer drive a pre 1960 historic vehicle, I believe that we have the same entitlement that the post 1997 driver as................ now I am going to lie down.

Would this be a good time to review the definition of laden/unladen? :readpaper::readbook::banghead:

Good idea! Is the definition for commercial goods carried for hire or reward?

Is a caravan a laden trailer if it contains your personal clothing/bedding/food etc.

Taking it one stage further -- is a four wheeled office type steered trailer that has been converted to a caravan laden or unladen? :mad: