What are these bayonets?

rippo

hello,

I'm hoping the forum cam help me identify these bayonets. Ones a first world war american one but i don't know much more that that. The second must be a ceremonial one but for what gun or from what era i have no idea. any help would be greatly appeciated.

000_0270.jpg

000_0273.jpg

000_0277.jpg

000_0280.jpg

000_0281.jpg

000_0282.jpg

000_0284.jpg

:tup::

Thanks for that, :iloveyou: these are from a friend who's just past away, i'm helping his family sort through his things. He used to keep this one under his pillow!! The home guard link is intresting as i seem to remember him mentioning his dad was in the home guard. I don't think it'll arouse any sentiment in the family, they were glad to have it out of the house, and to be honest i don't really blame them.

I've listed them on ebay, but if anyone on here wants to make me a reasonable offer i'll take it off.

The top one is a Ross bayonet. Not that rare. They have a higher muzle ring than the Enfeild bayonets, hence the two cuts in the grip to idntify them. Blades are identical. Value £75 to £80 mark

Second one looks like a SLR bayonet. Don't know value on these but they were going up

The third 'bright' one is I belive a presentaion copy of the SLR bayonet.

Edited by Tony B

Definitve information

The first Bayonet is a Remington P.14 or P.17 (It fits both rifles) US manufactured bayonet in a British S.M.L.E Scabbard. (The US original version had a looped hook at the rear)

The rifles profile is identical except the P.14 is .303" & the P.17 is .30-06".

The second is a British SLR L1A3 & The third is the same variant that has been chrome plated.

This was not an uncommon practice for parades & Cerimonial Occassions. (Though Totaly unofficial)

I myself inspected & repaired many thousands of these bayonets as well as the later L1A4 versions which had a stronger improved profile Crossguard.

The SLR bayonets are common, though increasing in value (What isnt these days!) About £40 for a good specimin now.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Mike

:tup::