What unit is this WW2 Jeep from?

LarryH57

Many years ago before I had access to the web at home, I tried to get the unit identity of this US Army Jeep ID'd in various MV mags without luck. Hopefully the quality will be a bit clearer this time.

All I can say for certain is that the photo was taken in 1944 pre D-Day in the coastal area around Suffolk or Essex. The driver Ernie Landry was my mother in laws boyfriend and I believe he survived the war and returned to the USA.

On the rear left bumper it appears that there are letters ATC and underneath AE or a 4E joined together followed by a D.

On the other bumper it looks to be 140919.

Note Ernie on the mud flap, and that Ernie has increased the size of the front 'wheel arch'.

Ernie Landry.jpg

Edited by LarryH57

• 1 month later...
Blackout white painting was applied on USAAF vehicles by the base depot, to varying degrees depending on their own ideas. Lots had very little or no white at all, others were plastered with it. Note the white edging to Ernie's front fender skirts.

cheers mate ,the original bonnet also has signs of pale grey paint under the od which is flaking .....

Great responses folks, very much appreciated. As for his unit and base its quite a revelation as to how he met my late mother in law, as she was working at De Havilland's in NW London, but then again like all girls in their twenties the West End of London was her playground, so perhaps he was on a 48 hour pass to London. BTW - as for Ernie's appearance it was a bit more 'casual' than the RAF uniform my Dad had to wear at the same time!

Edited by LarryH57