Gulf War Centurion AVRE

Meteor mark 4B

Ahah! Found it. MIMIC Magnetic Impulse Mine Induction Coil, fitted to Gulf War Centurion AVREs on the upper glacis plate, this was a mine exploding device. I wonder why it couldn't be developed to explode mines from further away?

Chieftain AVREs had these also.

Meteor mark 4B

I wonder why it couldn't be developed to explode mines from further away?

Possibly it was threat specific to a particular type of mine- or perceived threat of a mine- in WW2 the germans spent alot covering AFVs with ribbed zimert paste to counter a none existant Russian magnetic A/T mine, based on the logic that if "we have one so will they".

As to curent anti mine technology -they are anti IED electronic devices supposedly deployed on vehicles in Afghanistan but whther it is based on a system that you refer to is for good reasons not in the public domian.

Steve

Edited by steveo578

Possibly it was threat specific to a particular type of mine- or perceived threat of a mine- in WW2 the germans spent alot covering AFVs with ribbed zimert paste to counter a none existant Russian magnetic A/T mine, based on the logic that if "we have one so will they".

You learn something new every day!

(ps. Zimmerit)