RFC Crossley

Charawacky

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have considered whether or not to list the film clip link below because it shows the RFC Crossley in a bad light, however the number of different types of WW1 transport shown makes it a worthwhile view, I am sure you will agree.

Link

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=22746

Tom

Yes, i quite agree with you. What a fabulous clip of film, especially the Foden and the AEC tanker. marvellous.

Tim (too)

At last I find a clip of Crossley RFC Staff Car with WW1 flat radiator:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=77121

Just in time I learn from a WOMAN how to grind in valves and fit a piston to a RFC Crossley front block!

I pick up the rebored blocks tomorrow.

The P&M motorcycles were made in Clackheaton and are easily identified through the use of the engine as a structural frame member

These films are really quite incredible

I find the Pathe films bring history to life, especially old motors, which would otherwise only be seen as they are today - out of context.

Tom

Crossley mechanics.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

Crank and Con rods fitted, crank mains on white metal and big ends on shells.

It has been easy to fit shells in the big ends because new con rods have been manufactured to take shells.

The work needed to fit shells to the crank mains is much greater and so white metal has been retained.

I will fit a full flow oil filter for the shells and use detergent engine oil.

Isaac Babbitt invented white metal bearings in the 1830’s, the principle advantage is the bearings ability to absorb material suspended in lubrication oil which scour conventional bronze bearings.

With the advent of full flow engine oil filtration there was no requirement for the bearings cope with dirty oil, so easily replaceable shell bearings with a very thin white metal coating could be used.

The same goes for detergent oil which keeps dirt suspended in the oil which is taken out by modern filtration, whereas none detergent oil used in years gone by leaves the dirt in the engine which has the effect of trapping other dirt which deposits on it.

The Crossley used none detergent oil, had no filtration at all because the basic gauze filter which should cover the entire sump area had been discarded so the only protection was sludge in the bottom of the sump which had the effect of retaining lots of metal particles!

Please find below photos of the new white medalling and crank in position with rods. will post pics of piston fitting soon!

5 mains.JPG

Crank & Con Rods.JPG

Hi Tim

Thanks for your interest, all the parts have fitted together very well, the original cam and followers have very little wear, they are like new I would say.

The newly cast engine top plates fitted to the blocks easily and should not leak.

I have dispensed with the splash plates through which the con rods pass at the bottom of the bores, you can see the fixing bolts which now are just filling the holes in the crankcase. Modern oil control rings on the pistons will do the job from now on.

I don't know up to what date these plates were in common use in engines, are they fitted to the WW1 trucks you have?

The flat plate with three holes on a pcd cast into the engine crankcase is for steering box location, the steering box was moved to the chassis on later designs in common with most other vehicles.

You will also be able to see the new built front wheels fitted to the car behind the engine in the photo attached.

The next time consuming job is replacing the copper main bearing oil supply pipes, the correct wall thickness pipe has been found, 25 year old stock.

Some materials and parts are becoming harder to find now, I have had to machine replacement 1/2" whit castle nuts for fixing the crank bearings, quite a course thread for this application. Whitworth is used everywhere on this engine.

I have recently received pictures of the staff car in India just prior to shipping in the mid 1960's to be posted later.

Tom

Biblock.jpg

End.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

With a complete vehicles such as the Crossley the amount of work can be as much as you want! Its usually a question of whether the particular part being looked at is deemed to be still serviceable.

The Staff Car was drivable when acquired, however the engine had problems, it should be interesting to see the difference with the rebuilt engine.

Pathe is amazing, when I bought the staff car I had never thought footage of these particular vehicles would exist.

The engine stand has proved very useful, only taking a few seconds to invert the engine, it was given to me by an expert retiring mechanic to whom it was given to many years previous and so it goes on and on being used.

Footage of English vehicles left in Ireland:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=22853

Tom

Edited by Charawacky

The main bearing oil feed pipes have now been made and fitted as shown below.

The copper pipe is 8mm o/d with a 4mm bore which is thick wall and very heavy duty, the supply pipe for all the main bearings is made from the same material which has a very small bore by the standards of other engines.

Oil Pipe.jpg

It is looking good and i very much like the stand. The US Army had something similar in WW1 which allowed you to rotate the whole engine. Sounds a good idea, but you wonder how many times was the engine rotated only to be followed by a series of clunks and bangs as bits dropped out or fell off.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

I believe these are RFC Crossley Tenders converted into armoured cars and armoured rail cars in Ireland.

Inchicore works also undertook conversion of Lancia personnel carriers into armoured cars, however the backaxle and front spring hanger detail in this footage looks like Crossley.

See actual footage of the of the build on Pathe link below:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=19719

Looks like a simple recreation if tender parts were avaliable

I hope you will enjoy

Tom

aurmored.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

Well Tim,

I bow to your greater knowlage.

I could not find a pictorial referance to the Lancias only the written word.

Until now, See:

The rear axle has the same tie bars! and the front spring hanger is simular.

I view of my incorrect identification can you confirm or otherwise if these ambulances are Crossley? the radiator seams rather far forward and the seating position a long way back! but rad looks simular.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=79013

Tom

Edited by Charawacky

• 2 weeks later...

The engine rebuild is moving along, both blocks are now fitted, the inverted tooth timing chain is also fitted and camshaft timed.

The Water pump has been mounted, this has suffered at some time resulting in extensive welding and so I have machined the feet to improve drive shaft alignment. As dismantled the exhaust manifold was warped by 3mm so the faces have been machined level prior to fitting and the mag has been timed.

A full flow modern oil filter setup has also been plummed in and external oil pipework completed.

My attention is now turning to the clutch which had been lined with a modern material giving fierce take-up.

I am going to try lining it with leather and modify using 4 small leaf springs to raise the leather locally to make a more progressive engagement. Once lined the clutch will be soaked in neatsfoot oil for a few weeks during which time the engine will be completed and made to run! in the chassis.

Currently the petrol is supplied by autovac however orginally an exhaust pressure system was used, can anyone advise on how practical this system was and how it worked?

Engine side.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

Thanks for that Tim, the question is do I convert back to exhaust pressure or leave the autovac. Can I find the necessary parts?

The current dash gauges are not Crossley, one is for oil pressure and the other for temperature, a measurement which was not current at the time.

I have available 5 Crossley oil pressure gauges all with differing scripts and one Crossley fuel tank pressure gauge from another source which may or may not be for sale. Unfortunately fuel tank pressure gauges are in demand for conversion for other higher value cars and so are scarce.

I have seen a Crossley pressure fuel tank connection in a pile of Crossley bits locally and I now know roughly what valve thingy to look for in the rest of the pile as a result of Tim’s post.

I think it’s a question of collecting the bits over time and for the time being concentrate on getting the Staff Car on the road.

Tom

The time had come to refit the engine back into the chassis.

The engine had to be fitted from below which is made easy using the ramp to lift the car so the engine could be moved underneath then using a block to lift the engine out of the engine stand. Once the stand was moved from under the ramp a combination of ramp lowering and block raising moved the engine into position. Took about 1.5 hours! the clearances are very tight and the garage roof took the weight of the engine.

It must have been easier when the chassis was first built without the body and the engine could be lowered into the chassis.

With a bit of luck the engine should be made to run next weekend.

Tom

PB290039.JPG

PB290038.JPG

PB290040.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your Good Luck Enigma which has done the trick:

http://www.youtube.com/user/stadioscope1#p/a/u/1/1Cd3gpLueEg

http://www.youtube.com/user/stadioscope1#p/a/u/0/oOAY6PfJfLo

I now need to reline the clutch and it's on the road for a drive.

The Crossley Staff Car pics from India will be posted on the 25th if I get time after opening my presents.

All the best to everyone for the Christmas and the New Year

Tom