Longbridge East home of the Champ.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Whilst attending the Evesham show we took the opportunity to visit Longbridge East home of the champ.The Gypsy.Gold seal engines ,who remembers those.Lancasters ,Hurracanes,Fairy Battles and a lot more.

The trip was organised by Phillip Plumb a very active member of ACOC.

It was last chance before the developers move in and build 10,000 houses.dont quite know where the people are going to work but hey ho we mustnt get in the way of progress.I thought it a bit weird as concrete is all thats left,but once we all started talking about the place and Frank an apprentice at the time of the champ and later a driver in the army

gave us the tour and the stories i got quite goosy as the mind wanders back.i am sure i saw for a brief moment all the workers storming the gate at six o clock most on foot,or bike ,a few on M20s there goes the foreman on his new Panther and double watsonian rumour has it hes of to the lake district this year for a weeks camping.A great experience and a big thank you to Phill and Frank.

eastworks.jpg

now is that a big shed or what:cool2: notice the camo roof.some bugger had to paint that:sweat:

page24_23.jpg

page24_24eastworks3.jpg

1.500 ft long 400ft wide:shocked:

Evesham2009040.jpg

page42_18.jpg

page113_19.jpg

Evesham2009047.jpg

Evesham2009043.jpg

Evesham2009046.jpg

There are two tunnels about 200yds long.women built aero engines in them during the war,they acted as air raid shelters and could cope with about 10.000 workers.

page42_11.jpg

this is a huge up and over door.

page42_19.jpg

funny this is a german airial recy shot.

Evesham2009011.jpg

Evesham2009021.jpg

collecting a bit for e bay:-D

page64_7.jpg

the ones with no reg are for export to Austrailia

page65_5.jpg

A tony B favourite.

page6_16.jpg

war time production.

page42_21.jpg

Evesham2009052.jpg

Frank many thanks for the insight see you in August.

page117_5.jpg

Evesham2009048.jpg

What a sad end,dont go to bed yet video coming up if u tube get there finger out.

Next time someone tells you how good japanese cars are remind them the first ones were austin 7 licence built.just like BMW.No wonder we led the world:pfrt:

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

CW, is there any truth in the tale that the last Champs were driven off the production line straight to Ruddington - due to the 'Ministry' not cancelling the contract?

Never heard that one i very much doubt it.:-D

Sad thread CW ! Thanks for the photos ! :cry:

Repeated all over the country,there wasnt a pan any where in the world that didnt have Shyre lynx or thomas crapper on it at one time.:-D

I was trying to hear how many cylinders where running on your Champ mate ! Did you REALLY squeeze a new lump in or have I been suckered AGAIN ? :iloveyou:

No squezing needed huge amount of room.i like 8 :whistle::whistle::whistle::-D

Thanks for the picture CW. :iloveyou: The early flexitor suspension Gipsy. I had the later G4, what a Land Rover should have been. I also had an original workshop manual with the BMC rossete on the front. I kept the Driver's handbook for years, eventually passed to somone who had restored a Gipsy and had everything but the handbook. Something like that, no matter how much it means to you, should be with a vehicle.

Great pics CW. The 50's photo of the saloon (A50?) with all the Japs there to see production methods, then they copied everything and we lost all our markets.

Was talking to Dave at Conwy this weekend he was with you at Longbridge but denied all knowledge of you:confused: Were you non sus,or have you got another identity we don't know about.:???

PS Dave is the hairy one wearing the combat gear.