IWM photo

morris c8 fat

Question

How do you go about finding photos at the IWM that have appered in books credited to the IWM? Would they keep records of the books/authors or would it be a sift? also how would one go about a search for a certan vehicle type? Oh and if the picture has been published in print could I still use a copy?

8 answers to this question

Theres contact details for the photographic archive here - http://collections.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.1249

Most of the photos I've seen used in books etc have had a reference number with them, that I assume identifies the photo in the archive. The main collection is held off-site so you have to ask for access and give them a couple of days to transfer that archive in.

Vehicle-wise - last time I spoke with the chap in the photographic archive, theyd spent some time collating archives of particular vehicles. I asked about a dodge WC one, but I've never had the chance to follow up as the viewing room is in London.

It's been a while since I used the photographic library at IWM, so things may have changed a bit. Anyway, the last time I went, the official photos from WW1 & 2 are in an annexe around the corner from the main London museum. It's there that you go when you visit; so not a question of them having to move files for you to the reading room at the main museum. In fact, you pick them off the shelf yourself.

I don't know the procedure for non-official photos or photos from other periods.

If you've found an image in a book that you would like to have a decent copy of, you could always send the IWM staff a photocopy - they have a superb index system (albeit not by vehicle type!), which helps them narrow down where to look. If you have the reference number, they (or you if you visit) should be able to go straight to it.

The reference number system takes some getting used to. The KID series is the one showing portrait photos of vehicles, essentially 'works' photos. These are in albums according to weight class. Other than that (unless some more work has been done since I was last there) you have to go through each series in turn, e.g. from memory, the H series is the WWII home front series going all the way up to D-Day. There are several million official photos to look at. I spent a week there one year and just managed to get through all the WW2 albums, but very rapidly! I wish I was retired and had more time to do them justice.

Check out the prices of reproduction before you go. You may be in for a shock!

Theres contact details for the photographic archive here - http://collections.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.1249

Most of the photos I've seen used in books etc have had a reference number with them, that I assume identifies the photo in the archive. The main collection is held off-site so you have to ask for access and give them a couple of days to transfer that archive in.

Vehicle-wise - last time I spoke with the chap in the photographic archive, theyd spent some time collating archives of particular vehicles. I asked about a dodge WC one, but I've never had the chance to follow up as the viewing room is in London.

Lauren, Bovington have a number of Dodge photos, PM details of the one you want I may be able to help.

Some of their photos are on the IWM Website and you can order these on-line. Otherwise, phone them up and make an appointment (give a few days notice) and go there. Saying you are an MVT or IMPS member is helpful, as it shows you are a genuine enthusiast. The photo archive is VERY extensive, and if you just flick through the collection, you will be there weeks. The staff are very helpful, but don't know everything, so be prepared for several hours of research.

The IWM photo archive is a wonderful place but those big heavy albums make for a tiring day out.

It's a good idea to have look at the on-line archive first and also look at more recent books where the photo ref is quoted. (This wasn't the case in the 1960s and 70s). That way you'll see which series are of interest.

If you know which series of pictures you want, then you can go straight to the correct albums. You'll often find that the pictures either side are from the same assignment and from a vehicle detail point of view frequently better than the often published images.

Further to Runflat's good advice, it isn't that the prices for one-off reprints are impossibly high for smaller prints (far less than a still from British Pathé for instance) but there are so many to choose from. I set myself a £100 limit last time and stuck to it (well, almost !)

It's been a while since I used the photographic library at IWM, so things may have changed a bit. Anyway, the last time I went, the official photos from WW1 & 2 are in an annexe around the corner from the main London museum. It's there that you go when you visit; so not a question of them having to move files for you to the reading room at the main museum. In fact, you pick them off the shelf yourself.

From what I understand, the ones in London are a selection from the main photographic archive. If you don't find what you are looking for, it's worth asking.