Ward La France still working?

Heard a rumour from a friend the other day that the Mersey Tunnel still have two Ward La France wreckers in use.

Can anyone confirm or scotch this rumour. I feel it's unlikley they are still worked but may be retained for historic purposes. Either that or as usual someone has confused them with the more common Diamond T.

Had a look around on Google earth and live maps around the tunnel entrances, saw a few modern looking recovery vehicles but non of the older variety.

I saw this at Panes yard when I went up there for some parts.

For those who remember, I had a major mis-hap on route to Bolero couple of years ago.

Mike suggested Panes so I went up there for some brake chambers.

Interesting chap and very informative.

The Ward he still operates is heavily modified, brakes, engine, etc must it's nice to see them still doing what they were made to do.

Markheliops

Ref the Mersey Tunnel question. No, various modern wreckers have been in use now since the 70s, not sure what they had before that. I've been using the Tunnel for work about four times a day for thirty odd years and I've never seen a Ward or a T there. Merseyside Museums have a big collection of vehicles ( with no home for them now) and have a few ex-Tunnel trucks in that but, again, nothing like a Ward.

• 2 months later...
Any photo's anyone?

Sorry to bring up an old thread but have been sorting through some pictures on the old PC and found these out.

These were taken about three/four years ago while about six months ago there was a story in the local rag, The Express and Star, about this vehicle heping to move a canal boat back into the marina.

DSCF0730.jpg

DSCF0731.jpg

Sorry to bring up an old thread but have been sorting through some pictures on the old PC and found these out.

These were taken about three/four years ago while about six months ago there was a story in the local rag, The Express and Star, about this vehicle heping to move a canal boat back into the marina.

No need to apologize as far as I'm concerned. Always happy to see a few extra images of great vehicles. Thanks!