New Shoes

Markheliops

Hi all.

Decided to give the FV432 a new set of shoes yesterday.

I've been putting it off for a while as it's one of those jobs I didn't really want to do on my own but needs must as I wanted to take it to Bromley for the pageant. It's not a hard job but there are 180 pads to change and thats a lot when you are on your own.

Anyway, went to the farm after finishing the night shift and started about 10am.

OH MY GOD!!!!

Had to do it in the middle of the yard as the compressor lead wouldn't reach the barn. Don't know what the temperature was but lets just say - I FRIED!!!

SP_A0261.jpg

SP_A0263.jpg

Well, I finally completed both sides and arrived home at 11pm - absolutely cream crackered and filthy.

SP_A0266.jpg

I done a proper job though - wasn't just off with the old and on with the new. I took off the old pads and thoroughly cleaned the track links, inspected each nylon slip to ensure they weren't cracked and checked each bush on the track pins. They were in pretty good shape.

SP_A0262.jpg

SP_A0264.jpg

Anyway - happy with the finished result. Still need to tension the off-side track as I have some sag but the other side is good.

I have a question to anyone who has changed pads on armour before -

The manual states tighten the pad bolts to 70 pounds. Now for ease I used an impact gun as there was no way I was going to remove and replace 180 pads using wrist action only.

If you look closely. the ends of the pads are bending out slightly where the middle and only securing bolt has been tightened.

Now do I:

A) - Use it as it is and the pads will bed down

B) - loosen each bolt off and re-torque to 70 pounds.

I don't want to damage the pads nor loose any on the journey.

Your thoughts please chaps.

Many thanks

Markheliops

Looks like a good days work.

How worn and what condition are the old pads in? Can they be reused? I'm missings some pads and was wondering if I could get some part worn ones to match the rest on at the moment? Also how much do new pads cost and do you put new bolts and washers on or use the old ones?

New pads are around £4 each.

The threaded stud is part of the pad, and I would always use a new nut/spring washer.

Also good to find a supply of the nylon backing washers (big rectangular pad that sits between the track pad and track).

IMG_3820.jpg

I have some part worn ones you can have if you want, but they seem more prone to throwing rubbers which can be an issue on the road!

Looks like a good days work.

How worn and what condition are the old pads in? Can they be reused? I'm missings some pads and was wondering if I could get some part worn ones to match the rest on at the moment? Also how much do new pads cost and do you put new bolts and washers on or use the old ones?

Hi Simon.

I now have 180 VERY worn pads - but to be honest the majority were down well past the limits but if you need some drop me a line. If you are going to War and Peace my barn is literally 2 minutes up the road.

I used new nuts and washers - until I ran out of the washers with about 20 pads still to do. Strangely enough I had exactly the right amount of nuts!!!

You can buy pads individually but to be honest that is an expensive way of doing it. A full set (180 pads) can be brought for £500 or less if you shop around. I do know someone who had a set made.

Markheliops

New pads are around £4 each.

The threaded stud is part of the pad, and I would always use a new nut/spring washer.

Also good to find a supply of the nylon backing washers (big rectangular pad that sits between the track pad and track).

IMG_3820.jpg

I have some part worn ones you can have if you want, but they seem more prone to throwing rubbers which can be an issue on the road!

Odd about the nylon backing washers. The manual was very specific when it stated - re-use the original backing washers unless they are cracked or damaged. I hope I don't start losing pads!

I have a full set of these as all mine were okay and I re-used them.

Hi Mark,

I found most of the backing washers on the Abbot were knackered (deformed/torn), but agree with you, if they are OK re use them.

You are right to say shop around for pads, I picked my set up for under £400.

My guide price of £4 per pad is what they cost new from the manufacturer.

By the way, cracking job getting them all done in one go.

I am still changing the ones on the Abbot after about 4 weeks, not many left to do now!

Hi Mark,

I found most of the backing washers on the Abbot were knackered (deformed/torn), but agree with you, if they are OK re use them.

You are right to say shop around for pads, I picked my set up for under £400.

My guide price of £4 per pad is what they cost new from the manufacturer.

By the way, cracking job getting them all done in one go.

I am still changing the ones on the Abbot after about 4 weeks, not many left to do now!

I don't envy you - having done it once.

I'm glad you confirm what I thought in relation to the nylon washers as I didn't fancy changing them all. LOL.

Went back to the farm to day to complete the job. Done what Norman and Chris suggested and re-torqued the pads to 70 lbs. Strangly enough some were over-tight and some not tight enough. I suspect as the day went on and I'm became more tired - I lost a bit of concentration. Good job I checked them all as I had cross-threaded a couple of pads and the bolt threads needed re-doing. Otherwise would have lost two pads on route.

Thanks chaps.