Humber charger

FV1604A

Question

Hi Clive,

Tapping your amazing brain again.

Whilst reading a Ruddington Auction book last night in bed ( I know, sad isn't it!), I came upon the following; 09BK65 Humber Truck with Dunlop Charging Unit. What was it charging , why and why Dunlop!

Thanks in anticipation (yet again!)

Mike.

5 answers to this question

Mike, because the compressor was made by Dunlop.

FV162212.jpg

It was fitted to Truck, 1-Ton, Missile Test, FV1622 part of the Malkara system. It provided compressed air for Trailer, 1/2 Ton, Functional Test Unit, FV2308®

09 BK 65 is very interesting because originally it was a FV1601 & struck off 28/10/55. But it was brought back in service on 30/9/56 & became a prototype FV1622. Then struck off on 6/4/61 which was before Malkara came into service. It was sold for £50. There were a total of ten such vehicles, a friend has 18 BK 91 unfortunately without compressor. Many of these vehicle were at Pounds scrapyard in Portsmouth & the compressors sold off & used for providing compressed air for charging air bottles for divers.

Pounds3.jpg

Edited by fv1609

Thanks Clive.

Amazing answer and thanks for the great pictures.

Incidentally found a second one in the same catalogue, 05BK50 discharged Ruddington, same date 3rd October 1968.

Improved my knowledge once more, Thanks for your help.

I can't see how, but if I can help you at all, you know where to find me!

Best wishes,

Mike.

Mike, 05 BK 50 was the FVRDE prototype & sold for £125.

But 09 BK 65 has always fascinated me, not just because it was an earlier prototype.

As firstly prior to conversion it was taken back onto census, which is odd considering the large number of Humbers available still in service. The repurchase of 200 Pigs for NI in later years is well known, but most odd for a GS to come back into service. Unless it had undergone some form of modification & it slipped through the net. Like 02 BK 87 which was a FV1623 which went for sale & was withdrawn & then got accidentally sold.

If it underwent conversion as a missile test truck what was it to test & why was it struck off in 1961, when most of the FV1622s were only built in 1963? I just wonder if it was to test (as in my avatar) Orange William? Given that Hornet FV1620 was originally conceived as an Orange William launcher then swapped to Malkara in 1959.