Bedford with a twist

Smithy

Its in the book, (i think) see Characters of Wood, Wurlitzer and Wesley (not necessarilly in that order) by Maurice Sanders. Yull ran at least 12 QL's, I beleive this one is on about its sixth engine, when the front chassis of a TK (complete with cab and engine) was welded to the original QL rear end, then the front axle of the QL was put under the new front end to replace the undriven TK axle.

Yulls had one that was shortened "very short" and would turn on a sixpence. I beleive in that guise it was a timber tractor, but this vehicle has two cut a shuts on the chassis, so I am guesseing when it was converted to a goods body, some chassis was put back in to restore the wheelbase.

The front Chassis is deeper than the two length that make up the middle and rear of the chassis, and there is some mis-alignment between the top and bottom flanges where the new TK joins the old QL.

I am guessing it is now Bedford 300 or 330 powered.

Edited by antarmike

• 3 weeks later...

This one converted by George Taylor to 101 inches wheel base to tow a large stump grinder that was too much for their poor old Series LR, did a good job of it too!

No prizes for knowing what the rolling chassis in front is.........:)

Pic courtesy of George Taylor

image0-29.jpg