Leyland Daf, Do I fit in Here??

Superdave

I just recently picked up a 1990 Leyland daf from a auction here in southern Alberta. They came from the base at Suffield where the British train. A friend told me about this site and I hopeing to find out some information regarding this truck as they are far and few between here. I hope I am posting in the right section here as what I gather this was a British/Dutch produced unit? The one thing I am looking for at the moment would be the Manuals for it possibly on CD format. I would like to get the Operators and Maintenance Manuals as there are a lot of different controles on it that I do not know what they do. Also is there any dealers that carry parts for this truck as eventualy I will need to do repairs on it. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Dave

186-8693_IMG.JPG

Hi Dave -

Welcome to the forum.

You are in the correct section for the DAF.

As for information - I can't help much as the Bedford MJ and TM were the wagons of choice during my time.

There are many brain boxes on the forum who will be able to assist you with info. Especially if you have the right military registration. They will be able to tell you where the truck was stationed and with what unit.

To have a guess - I would suggest a veteran of the Gulf war as it is painted in desert camo.

Good luck with your search for info.

Markheliops

Nice truck. Not that many in civilian hands over here, most are still in service.

a lot more modern than the earlier Bedfords.

What they share with Bedfords is that they were a lot more common in civilan 2 wheel drive format, so lots of spares such as cab parts and service items should be easily obtainable. Gearbox and axles will also be a bought in items (not sure what) so not specific to Leyland Daf. In short don't go to main dealers for parts to be shipped over.

I believe the Cummins engine is the same as used in the Dodge Ram diesel, so service parts shouldn't be too hard to come by although most Rams are probably petrol over there.

I just recently picked up a 1990 Leyland daf from a auction here in southern Alberta. They came from the base at Suffield where the British train. A friend told me about this site and I hopeing to find out some information regarding this truck as they are far and few between here. I hope I am posting in the right section here as what I gather this was a British/Dutch produced unit? The one thing I am looking for at the moment would be the Manuals for it possibly on CD format. I would like to get the Operators and Maintenance Manuals as there are a lot of different controles on it that I do not know what they do. Also is there any dealers that carry parts for this truck as eventualy I will need to do repairs on it. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Dave

Hello dave, & wellcome to the forum.

Nice looking truck, but not wishing to pour oil on your chips!

I can attest that ANY vehicle that was used at B.A.T.U.S Will have had a hard life! The training area is vary harsh terrain & vehicle take a punishing usage tour over there!

I have seen Landrover (Petrol) chassis welded up & patches where they have split, punchered, & generally broken. (How do you break a Landrover chasiss?) such is the life they lead over there.

SO: Check you vehicle over VERY carefully for wear/ damage/ & safety points before going on the road.

All vehicles used actually spent very little time on roads in Canada. Most of the time it was on dusty tracks & all over the prarie training area.

A harsh & impressive at times enviroment. The views from up on plateaus were just like you see in Cowboy films! (Including Rattlesnakes!)

Enjoy your new Toy! :yay:

Mike

Hello dave, & wellcome to the forum.

Nice looking truck, but not wishing to pour oil on your chips!

I can attest that ANY vehicle that was used at B.A.T.U.S Will have had a hard life! The training area is vary harsh terrain & vehicle take a punishing usage tour over there!

I have seen Landrover (Petrol) chassis welded up & patches where they have split, punchered, & generally broken. (How do you break a Landrover chasiss?) such is the life they lead over there.

SO: Check you vehicle over VERY carefully for wear/ damage/ & safety points before going on the road.

All vehicles used actually spent very little time on roads in Canada. Most of the time it was on dusty tracks & all over the prarie training area.

A harsh & impressive at times enviroment. The views from up on plateaus were just like you see in Cowboy films! (Including Rattlesnakes!)

Enjoy your new Toy! :yay:

Mike

Hello Mike

I think that this unit might be the exception as it is in excelent condition. I took it in today for our inspection to register it for the road and it did not need a thing. The mechanic said the truck was in perfect mechanical condition with a lot of new parts in it.On a side note the GMC trucks that were at the same auction were in sad shape with the ones at the auction before having cracked frames ECT, see pictures.

186-8659_IMG.JPG

186-8671_IMG.JPG

This is where I bought my manuals:

http://www.mark.clubaustin.co.uk/

Is that your truck in the picture? Do you have more pictures of it and if you could email me some that would be great as I would like to see it with the green and black cammo on it as I might repaint mine in the same pattern.

Does any one know or have seen a MG mount on the roof of these trucks as I was told they could have had one?

All the units I've seen with the box bodies have been in signals regiments as sabre points out - there's a wide selection just for Ptarmigan rigs alone! From memory they have

Bedford + Ptarmigan radio relay (3/4 length shelter, front occupied by a pallet containing 2x3kW generators and a storage area with a ton of different antenna heads in and space for 2x12m masts, with a third mast mounted on the back of the shelter and a fourth, smaller mast mounted on the front of the antenna storage area above the cab) - this is the one we have

Ptarmigan 'power vehicle' - 2x20kW generators on a Bedford

Ptarmigan 'office' - bit like sabre's one but with a different door layout

Ptarmigan 'radio workshop' - similar but with a genny

I think there's an end node as well (Ptarmigan -> other comms systems), and I've probably forgotten some! I've also seen them with mixtures of the different types - short box body with the massive 20kW genny on the front, for example. I think they mixed and matched depending on what they wanted at the time.

We had to throw away about 300kg of Ptarmigan kit to get our box body clear :coffee:

I've also had a peek at the new Pinzgauer-based Ptarmigan rigs, they are some very swanky kit :cool2:

Stone

Hello Mike

I think that this unit might be the exception as it is in excelent condition. I took it in today for our inspection to register it for the road and it did not need a thing. The mechanic said the truck was in perfect mechanical condition with a lot of new parts in it.On a side note the GMC trucks that were at the same auction were in sad shape with the ones at the auction before having cracked frames ECT, see pictures.

Hello Dave, Well, you might have been lucky & got one of the camp 'Runabouts'. They were utilised for stores & collection / delivery in Calgary.

The GMC's look like range safety vehicles & they would have taken a real punishing. Lot's of milage on VERY harsh terrain! :shake:

If your vehicle is as you say, you have got a nice buy. I presume the Mech checked the spring shackles? They would have the most wear if it WAS used on the Training Area?.........:-D

To look under the truck there is no damage what so ever and it was well maintained with having been fully serviced with all new filters, oil, new transmission, driveshafts, shocks, steering link, brakes and 2 front air pots.

• 7 months later...

Welcome to the forum Dave.

I have the Bedford MJ 4 tonner with Radar Repair Body (the truck is ex Ptarmigan).

I was supposed to be emigrating to Alberta a a year and a half ago, but then the recession hit and the plans have had to be put on the back burner for the moment.

Your truck looks in nice condition mate. I drove plenty of these in the Army. I have to admit they weren't as popular with the troops as the Bedfords, but they are quicker and more powerfull than the Bedford.

Your truck is unusual in that it's only got half it's BATAS colours being plain sand. Is there any Red on it anywhere? What are you going to use the truck for? Are you able to get a comms body for it in Canada?

Cheers

Andy

• 1 year later...

I have just bought a leyland daf from Withams Auction.

Does anybody know what the tickover speed should be as the engine warms up the speed drops to the point where it stalls Cold it is 600rpm hot 350. The manual talks about adjusting the throttle pedal.

Also what should be the oil pressure be when fully warmed up.

Finally there is a wheel wobble that sets in at about 45 MPH a truck tyre man told me that there is no way to balance the wheels as the problem is caused by the tyres as they are designed to go on a rear fixed driven axle. is this so,

It came with a service history which suggests that the front axle needs changing every 80k bit of a worry

david

DSC02382.jpg