My new toy:)

paul connor

I think its the LT77 box.. Im not sure if thats the same in the Disco LT77 as the Defender LT77?

But worse case the engine and the box are shot.. still a G reg rot free chassis and bulkhead ! so worth that alone I wouldsay!

Think the only difference is the position of the gear linkage. Can be swapped over by changing the selector levers when you open the top of the box.

Usual problem with LT77 is wear on the end of the main shaft into transfer box gear. The splines eventually wear due to lack of lubrication and fail. New mainshaft is required and full box strip down. Fit a modified oil thrower washer onto the shaft to prevent re-occurance. Steve Parker Land Rovers used to sell them.

Ok..

Just had the 110 dropped off.. many thanks to DaveP

First impressions are that I got my £800 worth in this deal!

Tyres are all in good condition. Better than my 109

Chassis and the bulkhead are very good condition also.

All shocks look good and solid

It has a skid/shield on the steering and front axle! handy

Exterior has a few knocks but thats normal, overall good

Bad bits...

Well the gearbox does not engage at all. Shaft broken I think.

Engine.. well well well its a proper Stevie Wonder school of Engineering conversion.

Bits of twisted together wire,black and nasty tape and zip ties!

The problem I shall have to tackle first is Engine mounts. This was a V8 and has been converted to a TDi200. So the engine mounts have been welded on, I suspect to far back so the gearbox has taken strain and broken.

Does anyone have a Diagram or can hint at the correct location of the 110 tdi engine mounts so I can check..

Then Engine runs very well, just needs lots of tidying as the previous owner has made a right hash of it! pics to follow

Ok..

Just had the 110 dropped off.. many thanks to DaveP

First impressions are that I got my £800 worth in this deal!

Tyres are all in good condition. Better than my 109

Chassis and the bulkhead are very good condition also.

All shocks look good and solid

It has a skid/shield on the steering and front axle! handy

Exterior has a few knocks but thats normal, overall good

Bad bits...

Well the gearbox does not engage at all. Shaft broken I think.

Engine.. well well well its a proper Stevie Wonder school of Engineering conversion.

Bits of twisted together wire,black and nasty tape and zip ties!

The problem I shall have to tackle first is Engine mounts. This was a V8 and has been converted to a TDi200. So the engine mounts have been welded on, I suspect to far back so the gearbox has taken strain and broken.

Does anyone have a Diagram or can hint at the correct location of the 110 tdi engine mounts so I can check..

Then Engine runs very well, just needs lots of tidying as the previous owner has made a right hash of it! pics to follow

DSC00654.jpg

DSC00648.jpg

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00639.jpg

DSC00635.jpg

DSC00637.jpg

DSC00633.jpg

DSC00630.jpg

DSC00628.jpg

Engine position doesn't look too far out for a 200Tdi. They are very close to bulkhead, just room for a heater pipe to pass behind. 300 Tdi was mounted much further forward using a longer bellhousing on the gearbox, had room for air filter between engine and bulkhead.

Looks like it is a Disco box diff lock lever is behind gear stick. Turbo is on top as a 90 engine, but could be just that manifold has been swapped.

Engine mounts look very much like Series 3 items. From memory Tdi ones are much more bulky, but the basic engine block is the same as a Series or 90 four cylinder petrol or diesel so no reason these mounts can't be used. I think the idea behind the large Tdi mounts is to reduce noise and vibration.

When I put a Disco 200TDI in a 90 I used the original 2.5 Diesel mounts, they lasted for years but when they eventually broke we used Series3 as no later ones in stock. I seem to remember they didn't last very long and were replaced with N/A diesel type again.

Gearbox is deffo a defender item.

You deffo got your moneys worth, engine alone is not worth it on its own.

Advice:

I reckon you have the original V8 gearbox fitted. It is an LT85 on a V8, and you need an LT77 on a 200tdi. Get one cheap, (same gearbox as on a 2.5na, 2.5 Td and 200tdi). Make sure it is out of a 110 ans the 90 has different ratio's. Fit this and I reckon all will then line up properly. if it doesnt, speak to Gumtree in Burgess hill, he will hepl you out with where the mounts need to be.

Before you put it on the road, you will also need a cowl for the radiator fan, because other wise it WILL over heat and that is bad news for these engines.

With this engine, another sensible mod is to fit a LT230 transfer box from a discovery as this will then give you a cruising speed of 70 - 80mph and a really good fuel consumption.

If you cary out the repairs to a high standard, and make it a tidy vehicle externally, it will be worth around £4 - £5 grand, so is worth spending a bit of money on.

Give me a shout if you need any other help as I know these vehicles pretty much inside out. I am down in Brighton fairly often as I have good mates there, I have no problem dropping round and taking a closer look.

Good luck, and well done on a bargain Rover.

Definately not a LT85 box. LT85 boxes are an aluminium casing, it would have come with a very long bellhousing for a V8.

Not sure what bell housing is fitted. Most Land Rover after Series era had external webbing to casting. It may be out of a Sherpa van.

I'll second what Pinkie said about the shroud for fan. It's ineffective all that way from the radiator and ally heads don't take well to getting warm.

Ok so I need to work out a few things.

1. What gearbox I have, Although Its up and left for reverse says its an LT77 to me, It might not be.. So I need to know how to identify with the Code stamped on the case? ideas?Also to identify its a defender model

2. Also Need to know that the gearbox mounts for the V8 gearbox would be the same place on the chassis to the lt77 Diesel gearbox. As if they origianl and the same place I can use this to gauge if the engine is in the correct place.

3. Also find out where the engine mounts should be exact on a diesel chassis for a tdi 200

4. Are the propshafts the same lenght in a V8 to the Diesel?

Can anyone help there? as it then gives me a good scope to start the removal and sort out process..

As im concerned why the box is broken.. (suspected main shaft snap) If its because its not in the right place etc

Good point about the aluminium case Stormin, forgot about that when I was typin last night.....

If its up and left for reverse then yes, it is an LT77, I agree as well though, that bell housing doesnt look right.

I would suggest your first port of call is a correct Lt77 and bell housing for a defender. bolt it in and see that it sits right with the transmission tunnel. Then bolt the engine to the gearbox, and see if it meets its mounts without any due stress. If the gear box doenst sit right, then the gearbox mounts have been played with, and then this will prove one way or other where the engine mounts are right. I would go and measure but I only have Wolfs sat outside so that isnt going to help.

Props are different between V8 and diesel. I have a Diesel rear one I can let you have, and from memory I think the front will fit alright.

Dont be tempted to get a disco unit, as the bell housing is a different lenght (and I dont know that you have the correct bell housing, and the levers are the wrong way round, which can be over come but it isnt really worth the hassle as defender units are cheap enough).

Take that as a first step, as regardless as whats in correct on it, you will need a new gear box, you are going to have to take the box and engine out, so regardless of what you find, it wont be a waist of time or money.

Cheers, well PM sent ref TonyB, Hopefully someone close has the correct box.. I cant get into the yard till tuesday as ita bankholiday.. But I shall check the gearbox mounts. From memory they are original. So providing the V8 box shares mounts with the Diesel one I have a milestone to work from..

DSC00630.jpg

Gearbox in place.. I think this is a LT77 box number is "56A0185498H"

DSC00688.jpg

when the metal surround is placed on it looks like it should be there and its in correct place?

DSC00693.jpg

Box mounts through the chassis on large bolts and a bracket.. Same as Defender Diesel?

DSC00674.jpg

So Im sure its the right box mounted the right place.. Can some one check a 110 Diesel for me?? If they own on and compare

DSC00662.jpg

The champion welding of engine mounts!

DSC00672.jpg

Engine mounts have some of the finest welding I have seen!!!

DSC00675.jpg

DSC00680.jpg

Is this steering joint correct? looks bent! so does the other section.. ??

DSC00682.jpg

Not 100% sure of this... glow plug circuit board?

DSC00685.jpg

Over view.. does it look correct?

Edited by paul connor

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, dont know if you all remember the landrover I bought.. but I have just got her back on the drive after a few weeks of trying to sort a trailer to get the thing here! as it was in the yard of a friend! And Im very proud of my old Series 3 FFR petrol towing the defender back!

Ok, here it is...

Bought with a broken gear box..

It is an EX v8 landi . Converted by an idiot to be a 200tdi. Made a right hash of the engine mounts and wiring but thats the easy bit!

Gearbox..

You can feel all the gears are there but letting the clutch up. no Drive!

this is the same in all configs with the transfer box.

Towing the vehicle I removed the props. as if something in the box was loose or damaged could have made it worse..

I noticed with the props off.. and floor up. when you run the engine and engage a gear the front prop mount on the transfer box spins! then. if you engage difflock the rear prop also works.. but twhen the props are re-attached they do not have enough power to move the axles?

Also the clutch does make a fair bit of noise..

what would you think? broken output on the transfer box??

Ideas...

thanks

Sounds to me like the clutch plate has had the centre ripped out of it. The pedal would feel normal, the clutch would very likely disengage and re-engage. Put some load on it and no drive. Noisy clutch because the broken lugs on the clutch plate are trying to drive the hub.............Simple. All the guessing will be over and done with. You'll have it on the road by Monday. :)