Royal British Legion Southsea castle Portsmouth 6th June 2009

All,

This is a mail I received from an events organiser I have dealing with, please see below and if any of you are interested I will forward on your contact details.

Paul

Dear all,

I appreciate that many of you will already be committed to an event on 6 June either here or in Normandy, but I am writing to ask that if not, if you might be available for a Royal British Legion major public event in Portsmouth to celebrate the 65th anniversary of D-Day.

The event is part of a larger campaign called 'D-Day 65' which includes ceremonial activities over in Normandy, a major fundraising initiative through direct marketing and digital activity focusing on a specially developed D-Day 65 microsite. The event in Portsmouth is designed to have a celebratory/party feel and to appeal to young people and young families. They are planning a wide range of activities including a display of vintage vehicles/aircraft, a marines assault course, picnic, 1940's music/entertainment (and fairground- well, nobody's perfect).

The overall aim of the event is to reinforce the Legion's role as 'the custodian of remembrance' and to raise awareness and understanding of the Legion's vital role in providing support to thousands of current and ex servicemen and women and their dependents. They also hope to raise funds at the event through a range of channels and to attract a crowd of 10-20,000 people.

The event will be promoted through local and regional advertising, national PR, regional mailings and general marketing materials eg. Leaflets, banners etc.

The RBL would be keen to attract Home Front/allied military groups or individuals in period kit to give the feel of the 1940’s throughout the event (currently scheduled to be 2 – 6pm although it may be shorter). Any props/displays would no doubt be very welcome. They could also bring with them features from that era etc as well. They don't need musical perforners as they are already in hand. Its probably that EventPlan wouldn't need to be present, although we'd organise those 40s participants we'd arrange, but no firm decisions have been made on this yet.

There is a modest budget so expenses/fees are payable. Ideally we'd like to have around 50 "40s people" take part.

I hope that this is enough information to grab your attention and ask you to let me know if this would interest you/your members. I look forward to hearing from you asap (even if it’s a no) as our client is enthusiastic about pushing to push ahead with organising the event.

• 1 month later...

I know it's wrong era... But I'd like to attend this event, do you think they'd turn their noses up at me if I attended in my lovingly restored Saracen? after all it is a classic/vintage vehicle....

I know it's wrong era... But I'd like to attend this event, do you think they'd turn their noses up at me if I attended in my lovingly restored Saracen? after all it is a classic/vintage vehicle....

I did ask for info from the organisers for another HMVF member but quick as a flash nothing. I think I heard at Overlord that some of your SOE members are planning on bringing their MV's down anyway. Please see the other thread on this event as Andy Jones is the man to see about booking in, sorry unsure of his user name on here.

Paul

Edited by BIGREDONE

hi oily, i spoke with a lady called sue and explained i had a 1954 humber, not the era, but all are welcome. if you could be on the field by 9am. the more the better i should imagine, hope to see you all there if i get this fuel problem sorted:sweat: