amirican air bases in sropshire ?

v8 bubba

i wonder if anyone knows any thing about american bases in shropshire around bridgnorth shrewsbury and telford the reason i asking is my now departed mum was a teenager during the war and in her words had a high old time with personel who atended the dance halls particullarly around bridgnorth but as far as shrewsbury they would pick the girls up in jimmys and take them to the dances she said despite how deaperate the times were her fondest memories were of wartime and the yanks who were so kind i know shropshire was a hive of activaty during the war but there is litle left to bear witness to those days

there are still hangers at crudington and the remains of a large ammo dump at ditton priors and there was a large camp in sturt forest

any info would be very welcome

but the rest if any seems forgoten

Not far away is Leominster where i was today. In the museum archive i came across some photos of a surviving WW2 US hospital and details of a campaign to save it. The hospital was handed over to the British at the end of the war and then used to house DP's. When the photos were taken (1990's) the hospital was complete and very original. sad to say that it has now all been flattened for a new housing estate.

Tim (too)

there was a simaler hospital in herefordshire at mansel lasey an estate not far from leaominster all that remaned in the 90s was the concrete pads and gravel standings around where the wooden buildings had stood

some of the old all wheel drive club members may remember the club holding ther national event there

The hangars at Crudington (do you mean Crudgington?) are part of RAF High Ercall. the following USAF units also operated from there:-

309th Fighter Sqn, USAAF, Spitfires

27th Fighter Sqn, 1st Fighter Group, USAAF, P-38F Lightnings

92nd Fighter Sqn, USAAF, P-39 Airacobras (later Spitfires)