New truck

Grasshopper

We just collected this at the weekend, which we now hope to convert to a beavertail in time for bunker bash.

It's an ERF EC6 with a 235 bhp cummins B engine, 8 speed Eaton box and a Rockwell axle with diff lock. Having never driven a range change, i did play a few tunes on the way back!

Image005.jpg

Image006.jpg

No chance. This vehicle is private use only, and is taxed and insured accordingly. It for transporting our Spartan, half track and Scorpion (when thats done....)

Not all three obviously unless you're getting a trailer as well.

Has it got sufficient weight and length capacity for two vehicles on board at once?

No, just one at a time. We looked at getting a 6 wheel truck with a tag axle, but we are limited on vehicle length with regard to storage. This one is 18 tonnes, so can in theory take a 10 ton load. A half track and CVRT both weigh in at around 7 tonnes each. Being an ERF it's a nice simple truck, and we already have a stock of Cummins B parts if required. Also the steel reinforced fire glass cab is in very good condition.

No, just one at a time. We looked at getting a 6 wheel truck with a tag axle, but we are limited on vehicle length with regard to storage. This one is 18 tonnes, so can in theory take a 10 ton load. A half track and CVRT both weigh in at around 7 tonnes each. Being an ERF it's a nice simple truck, and we already have a stock of Cummins B parts if required. Also the steel reinforced fire glass cab is in very good condition.

One of the reasons I would like to own an ERF is that they rarely look tatty with the fibre glass cab. I drive an EC12 on a 'P' and love it to bits. I really like the cab interior too. My love of ERF's started in the eighties when I drove a 14 litre 'B' series for two years.

Sadly the EC12 I drive has suffered a "Blown up" turbo today. I'm not sure what caused it but there are lumps of ally casting in the turbo inlet, and a very lop sided inlet shaft.

Anyone got a spare turbo for a Perkins Eagle TX 340........please :)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I'm not sure what caused it but there are lumps of ally casting in the turbo inlet, and a very lop sided inlet shaft.

:)

Bird strike:rofl:

Matey has been busy with the angle grinder.

Most of the removed body framework will be recycled in the construction of the front bulkhead which will be strengthened, and he has saved some of the corner strengthening triangles which will also be re-used. The ramps will be made from scratch. The calculations for these have been done based on a CVRT or halftracks weight.

We hope to get on with the beavertailing this weekend.

georges half track 035.jpg

georges half track 040.jpg

Going to need another 9 inch or two when it comes to chopping that rear end about.

My friend has done a few at his workshop some as tilt and slides with a spec' lift and some as double deck recovery. Makes it look quite easy as he's done it before and got all the right gear.

Good Luck.

We need to register the change of body and may need to present it to a test station. It's up for MOT soon so works out nicely.

Mark H- both of us will be at BB as Mike should be able to drive the ERF y then (it has a light clutch).

If it has a light clutch, it means you have a good clutch release fork. They have a poorly designed clutch release fork that cracks through the split section of the casting. The clutch either goes heavy to operate, or it will be slow to engage the drive. Don't worry though..... they are only about sixty squids and take about half an hour to fit. You don't even have to take

the box out to do it. We've had two go on our tankers. (Eaton box) :)