New truck

Grasshopper

Got to playing with my new needle gun on the rear of the chassis today. Fun! Then went over rear of chassis with a cup brush on an angle grinder. That seemed to cure my hay fever- lots of rust-dust (despite wearing a face mask) up the nose.

Then covered everything in a generous coating of lack hammerite. New steel for the rear deck supports should be arriving tomorrow, then we can get on with the rebuilding.

The air deflector has also been removed, which helps the truck to look smaller (a consideration to where it will be stored is that it needs to look as small as possible).

Image002#1.jpg

Image005.jpg

Image016#1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

While i was away at the weekend, the guys got the rear end fabricating done. 6 tie downs were also welded in.

Went down last night and got the rear lights and reflectors fitted. Anybody know the legal requirements for HGV rear lights and reflectors? Can't seem to find any on line. The rear light are the same width apart they used to be, only lower. The reflectors i took a guess on and made the rear end look wide.

We also got one ramp welded up from what used to be the roof frame. Its 3mm box section. We had planned to use 4mm box, but we are trying to re-use as much of the old body as possible and had a lot of this. We had done calculations for the ramps with a huge safety margin, so the 3mm box should be ok. The ramp mountings are currently only temporary, as we intend to make them hinged.

Still hope to have it finished in time to transport our CVRT to bunker bash at the weekend, to which end i have taken the day off tomorrow to install the rear light cabling, refit the rear mudgaurd stays and do some other bits and pieces to make it legal and usable.

Image012.jpg

Image014.jpg

Image016.jpg

Image017.jpg

Image018.jpg

Looking good.

I take it you'll be testing those ramps in private before risking a public humiliation if they're not quite upto the job.

If you decide to change those lashing rings, see here

http://albert-jagger.co.uk/Portals/0/006_a2_lashingring.pdf

quite cheap too.

Is that the elusive Too Tall Mike doing a bit of welding there?

Thanks for that. We considered similar lashing points, but having a steel stockists on the doorstep and a large supply of tested and rated shackles, we made our own.

That is indeed Mike at work with his new welder. Its only about the size of a laptop bag. One of those new inverter powered jobbies.

Unfortunately the first test for the ramps will be when we load the CVRT on Friday in a layby! We have to drive the tank to the truck as it lives just under a mile inside the LEZ and the truck is non LEZ compliant and lives elsewhere. They will both eventually be in the same yard outside the LEZ.

Thanks for that. We considered similar lashing points, but having a steel stockists on the doorstep and a large supply of tested and rated shackles, we made our own.

That is indeed Mike at work with his new welder. Its only about the size of a laptop bag. One of those new inverter powered jobbies.

Unfortunately the first test for the ramps will be when we load the CVRT on Friday in a layby! We have to drive the tank to the truck as it lives just under a mile inside the LEZ and the truck is non LEZ compliant and lives elsewhere. They will both eventually be in the same yard outside the LEZ.

And the CVRT is fit to use inside the LEZ?

Pity it's not a 432 your running on a good oily mix to really make a mockery of the LEZ rules :D

Hope those mechanical engineers calcs are correct for the ramps.

Anybody know the legal requirements for HGV rear lights and reflectors? Can't seem to find any on line.

You might find the required info on positioning / dimensions in the 'HGV Examiner's/Tester's Manual'. These are (or were) available through HMSO. I have a 15 year old specimen somewhere at work, but have no idea if such info would still be valid.

You might find the required info on positioning / dimensions in the 'HGV Examiner's/Tester's Manual'. These are (or were) available through HMSO. I have a 15 year old specimen somewhere at work, but have no idea if such info would still be valid.

Hi,

I have an update coming for my HGV teasters manual, hopefully early next week.

I had a look through my 2005 one and so far all I've found is a height limit for brake lights and outer marker lights. It does need marker lights on the corners, which I think is covered by the outer lights on your rear light cluster. There is a minimum height for stop lights of 850 mm from the ground.

I will check the regs as soon as I receive my update. I don't think there's anything wrong with what you've done, but I will check. Are you going to put permanently fixed ramps on the back? If so you could put additional lights on the ramps. If you do that you will have to make sure you still have visible lights when they are lowered otherwise someone might use your new ramps for some sort of stunt flying. :-D

Not finished yet, but useable enough to get the CVRT to Bunker bash on Friday.

Ramps will soon be hinged to the rear, but for now are just loose on the back. Will also be fitting a spare wheel carrier and chain lockers at some point. Still have to finish the front bulkhead too.

Frrtunately Mike had discovered where the diff lock switch was, a very useful device on the Bunker site!

Image003.jpg