Serious engine failure

Rick W

Not strictly MV, but a customer came in with his Berligo van as it had suddenly stopped between Northampton and MK. We concluded that his cambelt had snapped which meant a new engine being an interference type engine. It had to have done some uneconomic repairs to the engine. He found a new engine, so we stripped his old one down to found out what had happened.

engine.jpg

There is another piece of the camshaft somewhere. I dont know where. The cam is about 35mm in diameter, it split apart the cam bearings and bent the studs which hold the bearings in place.

Not strictly MV, but a customer came in with his Berligo van as it had suddenly stopped between Northampton and MK. We concluded that his cambelt had snapped which meant a new engine being an interference type engine. It had to have done some uneconomic repairs to the engine. He found a new engine, so we stripped his old one down to found out what had happened.

There is another piece of the camshaft somewhere. I dont know where. The cam is about 35mm in diameter, it split apart the cam bearings and bent the studs which hold the bearings in place.

Rick,

I have seen Jaguar 4.2 engines with cams broken into several parts. That is the trouble with overhead cams, the old pushrod engines used to end up with bent pushrods,, much simpler and cheaper to rectify. Still the makers don't want you to repair their products anymore, just sell you another :-(

engine.jpg

Begins with F ends in D, six letters :rofl: