repro uniforms

ashley

Hi all,

has anyone tried this company yet ?? any feedback from satisfied / disatisfied customers //?

cheers

Ashley

http://www.replicaters.com/ww2britarmy.html

What uniform are you after?

I once thought about using Sanjay and then thought better of it, purely because if anything goes wrong, you haven't got a leg to stand on. I have heard more bad stories than good about them. Take a look here : http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15986 and here : http://wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16778&highlight=replicators.

I think it sometimes depends on what uniform you are after. The uniform I wanted, no-one did, so I ended up visiting a lady called Della Rebours in Harrogate who did all the measuring etc and we confirmed materials etc to ensure that the uniform was as original as possible, she has done an absolutely fantastic job. Since having the uniform made, I have had the chance to see an original and our's is very almost spot on, I think there was just 1 very small detail missing, but as she was working from photos, she did alot better than expected.

Cara

x

Karoshi,

For a uniform which no-one has made before and which we only had photographs to go by, she had to source the correct material for us, with samples going back and forth between us, it cost me £280 for Jacket, Pants and hat. We had a few fittings aswell, to ensure that they fitted ok, with Della having to do a couple of amendments.

Seeing as they are tailor-made, I think it was a great deal. :D

Cara

x

Cara I think thats an exceptional deal, and without doubt Della's stuff has to be some of the best in the business.

The point I was wanting to highlight is that a typical female WW2 uniform from Sanjay at Replicators comes in at about £120.....delivered. I agree that it may not be to everyones liking, but for the less serious enthusiast or casual user it may be seen as better bangs for your bucks.

As a dressing piece to enhance the visual appeal of an MV rather than from a re-enactors stance, I thinks it represents fair value.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hi Cara and Karoshi,

thanks for the replies, all that i am after really is some battle dress/ denims (49 patt is not a problem) but saying that as Karoshi hinted i a not 100% too worried about authenticity with in reason but as said befor as it is not a "desperate must have" i am not too keen on some of the prices some people want for thier gear so i am searching all avenues i am sure that i`ll turn up something soon :?

Ashley

The best WW2 BD on the market currently is made by a company called Pegasus Militaria, a set is around £200.

There are cheaper sets available from Warhorse trading, from memory araound £150, for jacket, trousers and and GS cap, equally as good.

If you check out any of the threads on the WW2 Reenacting website to do with BD you will get a good idea.

Other suppliers are Soldier of Fortune, Sutlers and What Price Glory (in the States)

I think its a case of of paying your money and taking your choice.

For occassional use I would go for the Warhorse set, you can't go wrong for the money.

Cara no appologies necessary, its just a matter of balance. In my experience Mv'ers tend to be more fucused on the hardware rather than on reenactment, and they often just want something in keeping with the role.....yes I KNOW some want sidearms and the likes but thats a whole different story!

Jackie at Warhorse does some great kit, and I've been very pleased with the stuff I've had. Not sure that she did Battle Dress though. Anyone?

you can get original denims for around £30.00 for trousers & £25 ish for jacket. That was the average at Beltring last year anyway. They can normally be found lurking at the back of stalls.

The war pattern was used up to the 50's so even post war should be fine.

They are much more cooler for the summer show months than the BD's

cheers

Benri

you can get original denims for around £30.00 for trousers & £25 ish for jacket. That was the average at Beltring last year anyway. They can normally be found lurking at the back of stalls.

The war pattern was used up to the 50's so even post war should be fine.

They are much more cooler for the summer show months than the BD's

cheers

Benri

Hi all,

thiugh i understand that denims are available being one of those who supports the "fuller figure" remitt finding the right size can be a problem. I expect Beltring will be the answer if i can find nothing else.

I did fine a st of B.D.`s to just fit but a change in medication soon put paid to that though, time to reach for the salads again :cry:

Ashley

P.s the denims which are supposed to be worn over B.D.s always have such a large seat in them :lol:

Hi all,

thiugh i understand that denims are available being one of those who supports the "fuller figure" remitt finding the right size can be a problem. I expect Beltring will be the answer if i can find nothing else.

I did fine a st of B.D.`s to just fit but a change in medication soon put paid to that though, time to reach for the salads again :cry:

Ashley

P.s the denims which are supposed to be worn over B.D.s always have such a large seat in them :lol:

If you are ever struggling to get into a pair of lightweight trousers, I can offer you the following conversion I actually saw in the field (well in barracks) in the late 70s.

This guy was legendary for his inability to get through a Chieftain hatch before we converted to recce (and I joined). It took me a long time to work out what was wrong with his lightweights. Then I spotted the press stud on the map pocket: the regimental tailor had cut the top off a pair of overalls (Coveralls, Man's, OD, Lightweight) and added belt loops.

A more than passable conversion out of necessity.

Ashley,

If you are after '49 patt, Ebay is well worth a look. It goes for very little money, (in contrast to '39/40 patt.)-Once you go past the '49 patt badged up and desc as WWII. :roll: :roll: :?

What size are you after, I can put you in touch with someone who has a set 40'chest 34/35 waist, if they are any use.

Also Sabre Sales could be worth a try.

Andy

• 2 months later...

Iv'e been thinking about getting a uniform from warhorse, spoke to them a couple of times at different shows and found them very friendly, i'm thinking about a ww2 master sgt 101/82nd airbourne, i drive a land rover and dress as a para but am getting a little bit fed up with ex para's passing snide comment's. I have never been in the army and don't tell people I have, but some people take offence at me dressing as a para, so if I go ww2 hopefully I won't upset anybody. The reason I went para is because my mates ex 2 para sgt and he does'nt mind and say's it's an honour that I chose para but some people see it differently.

Hi Rambo.

As a reenactor,.who's desperatly saving for a vehicle,....I've heard comments passed by (at times,)those who ought to know better.

The thing I found, was that a lot of these comments were made out of ignorence, - if the chance was there, to have a chat, a lot of 'mis-understanding' was able to be explained. A lot of people,find it hard to understand the reason's we want to 'dress up as soldiers';

Is the only reason for going along the 'yank - line',.no offence intended, simply due to not getting hassle, from others ??

What do you want to Do when you dress in uniform ??

a site well worth looking at, - Jack even posts there... :lol: is

http://wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum

You will need to register,same as here, look for american section.

Another idea, if ww2 is not the way you nesscarilly want to go, is your land rover a millitary model ??...if so, maybe research its history and dress to compliment it.

Please don't feel that I'm being negative, its just in Certain circles, even wwii reenactors can get a little bitchy........ :roll:

If i can be of any help, just shout.

Andy

Thanks andy, I thought about american ww2 because I think it looks smart, it's only for wearing of an evening at a show when we go out to eat or for a drink, during the day I normally have my short's on(even if it's raining!).

I suppose i'm looking for a uniform that won't offened anyone.

I tried stocking's and suspender's but all the bloke's kept comming on to me!! :shock:

Hi Rambo.

While I can go along with you on the smartness, - and certainly coolness of GI kit,-esp, when the suns trying to melt the tarmac ( :-D), I'd still go carefull, in how much you 'dress up', said kit; Please don't think I'm being a kill joy, - or snob.etc; its just that I've seen, - and quite probably did, myself, when I started out, - kit, being added to, with no thought, as to wether it would have been used originaly.

Also, as already mentioned in first posting, there are a lot of US reenactors out there, who WILL tell you, whats right and wrong......in most cases, quietly ( :wink:)

With dressing brit, (and canadian), its more the 'old soldiers', who wore the gear for real who can be critical,..

My advice, for what its worth, is to find the unit, you want to portray, and research it;.......(hell of a lot easier with the internet)

As for stockings and suspenders......................... :evil: :-D Bring back Rocky Horror.

Please don't take anything written above, as trying to put you down etc. Only trying to give some pointers.

Give me a shout, if I can help.

All the best.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

I can only speak as I find but I would never deal with Soldier of Fortune via on line ordering, just last year I ordered among st other things a pair of anklets, after a while when they didn't come I rang them to see where they were and they said they had been sent. I asked at my local post office and I was told it was up to the postee to chase this up.When I told Soldier of Fortune this I got the impression they didn't give a toss so as I needed the anklets for a trip to France I had no alternative e but to re-order and I ended up paying twice for one item. As far as I am concerned Soldier of Fortune mail order are a bunch of rip off merchants who only want your money when they feel they can get away with it.

I ordered some stuff from Replicators and on the whole the Brit battle dress was quite good for the money it was the red para berets they sent through in emerald green and the brit tommy berets that came the colour light mushy peas he did sort the problem out in the end but you get what you pay for the quality was quite as was the finish just the wrong colour completly but for the money you will not beat his prices

Commander

I think that going on comments made, from this site and others, if I wanted a B/d making up, I'd go to Warhorse.

Having said that, I get a fair amount of gear via ebay,.but try canada/usa sites, as they, at times work out cheaper,inc shipping that uk site;...............and you could end up with a lovely, comfy canadian B/d, (Much nicer that the scratchy brit type, :-D)

For bits and pieces, kit wise,.try sabre sales, in southsea.

Andy

• 1 month later...

I have done my Jeep as US Navy and I dress as a US Navy Sea bee. I have found that so few re-enactors do USN that you can actually get genuine gear cheaper than other people are paying for repro Army gear, whether it be US, British or German.

:-)