Ferret 2/3 turret removal

MiketheBike

• 3 weeks later...
I have taken everything apart, and in the process of cleaning everything up.

On the actual turret ring, where the bearing wheels run, I would assume that is not painted? Should it be greased to stop it rusting, or left dry, bare metal?

Grease attracts dirt and likelihood of you removing the turret once everything’s working is remote. Just imagine the fun you would have cleaning it off when its altogether with added dirt.

Andy

Andy,

good point!

I will just clean the rust off, then leave it to develop a lovely patena :)

I ended up getting a new bare turret from Banisters in the end. The hinges were so bad, and two were broken, plus getting it cleaned up from the fire the donor ferret had just didn't seem worth it...the turret ring and wheels/bearings are in surprisingly good order, and the ring appears to be the difficult bit to get hold of.

Cheers

Mick

I have taken everything apart, and in the process of cleaning everything up.

On the actual turret ring, where the bearing wheels run, I would assume that is not painted? Should it be greased to stop it rusting, or left dry, bare metal?

When I restored mine. I cleaned all the crud from everything, stripped it to componant parts. And cleaned everything to bare metal. red oxide primeer & spary with deep bronze Green paint. Re-assemble & refit. the way the Tutrret now rotates is a joy to opperate! :yay:

As Andy points out. Do NOT grease the ring or outside of the bearing wheels. it WILL attract Dirt & Muck. :nono: