Scammell owners and enthusiasts beano to the Seaside !

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

THanks to you all for the great company,it was nice for Andy (engineer) and myself to relax after all the hard work we put in,made it all worthwhile.Many thanks for the fuel sponsorship from Marton Dump Trucks.The future for her is uncertain,but whats not is the fact that she ran faultless today making all our day great, combined with the weather and not to much wind means if it was the last run its one i wont forget.

You blokes were great,and thanks to Jack for the forum without it we would never of met and the day would never of happened.Cant wait for the rest of pictures ,what no black smoke?cheers CW.

Cap'n CW spots a victim just ripe for some harassment and goading, and a wee bit of showing off!

DSCF6874.jpg

And he doesn't give up easily, but due to an engine problem or maybe a restricting exhaust system his victim ain't playing :confused:

DSCF6875.jpg

We circled him a few times just to make sure but he didn't rise to it.

Cap'n CW spots a victim just ripe for some harassment and goading, and a wee bit of showing off!

Thought you meant the ferry at first. :rofl:

Don't laugh those Seacats would surely give Catweazle a run, 35 knots when I was on one last.

That was an interesting boat - a high speed RAF launch, built postwar but to a wartime design. Two Rolls C6 engines lurk under those menacing sloping engine covers.

But apparently no match for Horatia, they have raced before. And as Bernard says, on this occasion - despite persistent harrassment - they would not rise to the challenge.

To put this into context, with CW at the helm Horatia seems to turn from an elegant retired racehorse into the nautical equivalent of a slightly mischievous puppy full of the joys of life. So a large proportion of the time spent outside the harbour (best behaviour required) is spent lolloping around seeing who else is out and about, continually circling other critters (boats) and sniffing at their bottoms, trying to goad them into a playfull chase.

On our trip from Portsmouth across to the Isle of Wight and Cowes (wow - that crossing went fast!!!), pretty much anything seemed fair game. But for some reason the small cross-harbour ferries were given a wide berth (perhaps they have a nasty bite), and the big Cat ferry was treated with respect (or was it that Horatia was too busy chasing one of the big Isle of Wight ferries at the time?:-D)

Unfortunately we passed one of her good mates (a harbour Pilot boat) during the departure from harbour, where speed and movements are strictly controlled within narrow lanes, so both Horatia and Pilot boat were on leashes. However the friendly gestures from the Pilot crew made it quite clear that a meeting in more open waters would result in a serious chase! :-D)

Interestingly we saw a lot of Horatia's relatives on the water - these Pilot boats share an identical hull design to her, as do some of the Naval launches. It appears that such a great design has been hard to better in all these years.

And that was what amazed us all - the superb ride of Horatia. She simply cuts through the water, no hint of being constrained by the sea, no roll. She just takes a straight line wherever pointed, powered through the swell and tide by those purring Cats.

Designed for high speed she obviously does not like 'walking to heel', but is so maouverable - and the clean ride, helped by the lower "bits of timber along the hull that stop the water squirting up the side" - gunwhales?" leaves you with a great sense of security. I didn't even spill any coffee on CW's Wilton carpet!

When is the next trip!!!

cw boat 027.JPG

cw boat 043.JPG

cw boat 045.JPG

Edited by N.O.S.

The amazing end to this day was when we were in the pub last night and I was telling friends about this day out, the landlord was listening with interest.

It turns out he is often in Gosport marina on various friends boats and assumed I was talking about being on board that RAF launch, which he had often wondered about, this led to him getting his photo album out and we went on another trip to the Virgin Islands with him, we've known him for years, and didn't know he had this interest, perfic end to a perfic day.

Thought you meant the ferry at first. :rofl:

Don't laugh those Seacats would surely give Catweazle a run, 35 knots when I was on one last.

Thats right Norman,since the last fuel increase they are running a bit slower gives us a chance,top speed 40 knts i think.We went on one ready to film the black smoke when they open up but due to the fuel restrictions it never happened.:argh:

Didn't think any hovercraft were still running!

Is it just Dover they were retired from then?

i dont know of any others running on.