Deactivated Guns

julezee001

I noticed tucked away in paper this Sunday that there is to be an announcment this week of the tightening of the Laws relating to deactivated guns. Another hopeless piece of unnecessary legislation targeting the innocent, leaving the lowlives untouched!

Fortunately not something that has a direct effect for me, but I'd hate to go to shows where so many are dressed perfectly in period uniforms, but with no weapons! Be prepared to be made a criminal overnight, find yourself needing a licence, or have to sign on a danger to the public register??? Perhaps?

Jules

Is this the article - the Sunday Mirror:

Call for deactivated guns to be outlawed

• transparent.gif
  • transparent.gif

sundaymirror.co.uk 1/03/2009

Guns that have been deactivated could be outlawed, after police warnings that more and more criminals are having them reactivated to use as weapons.

Imitation firearms are already illegal and now the Government is considering banning deactivated guns outright or making it illegal for convicted criminals to own them.

Sales of the guns might also be restricted to registered dealers.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said: "Tackling gun crime is key to making people feel safer. We already have the tightest controls in Europe but there is more we can do."

Deactivated guns have their barrels split and firing pins removed but criminals have found ways to repair them.

Not the most reliable source of info but.......

This old chesnut again!!!

The Goverment cannot effectively Police criminals.

So, we as collectors are easy targets. Target us & it looks like the Lovely Goverment are doing something!!

They will not issue a license. They would HAVE to be paid for. Also, you would need a large staff to issue & process these licenses.

They cannnot keep up NOW, with the re-issues of shotgun & Firearm renewals!!

What I think will happen is, they want ALL deacts welded up solid.

So, if you own an old spec, you will be invited to rework it to new spec at YOUR own expense. Re-submit it for new certification at YOUR expense.

They cannot ban the ownership of deacts. They would have to compensate you for that. They shot themselves (No pun intended) in the foot over compo with handguns. It cost them millions. With even more deacts in cirulation, it would be cost prohibitive for them to compensate.

Who originally offered de-activation as an alternative to compensation? The Government. Are they now saying they were wrong?

The Gov NEVER says it's wrong. If THEY wre wrong, they would have to pay out.

And they most certainly would NOT pay out again!

There may also be some unworkable legislation produced that says along the lines of 'you can sell to registered re-eneactors or bon fida collectors'.

similar to the VCR act with Airsoft weapons.

It wont work properly, or indeed effectively. As we have all seen with the VCR act.

More rules for Police Officers to fail to interpret or understand correctly!

This is just more rubbish because the police cannot keep up with Crimnals importing live weapons!

There is no doubt that SOME de-acts have been converted. But the number is VERY small. Whatever law is passed, in what ever field.

There is ALWAYS going to be someone who breaks the rules & the Law!

Mike

Interesting news and interesting comments. Can I just bring in a bit of pre-emptive moderation here before the thread continues and say overtly political comment is a no-no. There has been none so far by my interpretation, so this is not a dig at previous postees. Thank you.

Interesting news and interesting comments. Can I just bring in a bit of pre-emptive moderation here before the thread continues and say overtly political comment is a no-no. There has been none so far by my interpretation, so this is not a dig at previous postees. Thank you.

Whilst I agree entirely that HMVF is not a political forum, and that political comment is not why people join the forum, it cannot escape anyones understanding that nearly everything in our hobby is in one way or another affected by legislation, good or bad, brought about by either our elected politicians or the less elected European ones.

As I stated in my leading thread, this threat to our hobby doesn't affect me as I only have firearms which still go BANG. However from previous experience with the ban on pistols, I think it is only right to give people the opportunity to discuss all aspects of potential legislation which is to be brought in, and agree a way forward, e.g. write to your MP etc, petitions, a campaign. The shooting community failed totally as those without pistols tended to react with the phrase "I'm alright Jack!", splitting an already small minority.

I think most forum members have the common sense not to make comments personal etc, and should understand that if Deacs are banned then what next? The right to take your classic vehicle on the road? M.O.T's for all vehicles? Who can guess what will happen next, but none of it should be allowed to pass into law without a great deal of discussion, and a good fight!

Jules