Fv433

84KB11

Just started the restoration of the new addition to my collection, an Abbot FV433.

Mainly cosmetic and electrical jobs to do, so not on the grand scale of some restorations others are working on, but still keeping me busy after work and at weekends!

I have started a website to follow the work (http://www.fv433.co.uk), too many pictures to do it as a forum post!

Will post any interesting bits on here as I come across them.

If anyone has any spares for an Abbot, I need quite a few bits, including:

Firewire control box, engine control switchboard, fuse tins and some stowage mounts/racks.

I have started a website to follow the work (www.fv433.co.uk), too many pictures to do it as a forum post!

Be a shame not to see some of the photo's on here. Not many photo's of Abbots on here as I'm aware.

Is it K60 engined? They have a very nice sound, so some video footage wouldn't go amiss either.

Edited by Marmite!!
quote tags

Be a shame not to see some of the photo's on here. Not many photo's of Abbots on here as I'm aware.

Is it K60 engined? They have a very nice sound, so some video footage wouldn't go amiss either.

Yes please post photos here, members are encouraged to post photos directly in their threads rather than redirecting members away from the forum, this way it's easier to know what you are referring to & makes the threads more interesting..

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

You have sound on the Top gear avon dassate videos,Just remembered its all gone on HMTV.Dont tell me i have got to put it on u tube now.:sweat:

Hi Catweazle,

Posting the video is not a problem (worked that bit out quite quickly), main issue will be working out how to get the camera to record it!

Have one of these posh digital SLR's that also does video. Will have to read the manual and work it out!

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Hi Catweazle,

Posting the video is not a problem (worked that bit out quite quickly), main issue will be working out how to get the camera to record it!

Have one of these posh digital SLR's that also does video. Will have to read the manual and work it out!

I try to keep the two separate,not difficult when you have an old spotmatic.Will see if i have the lost video and put it on u tube.cw.

Just started the restoration of the new addition to my collection, an Abbot FV433.

Mainly cosmetic and electrical jobs to do, so not on the grand scale of some restorations others are working on, but still keeping me busy after work and at weekends!

I have started a website to follow the work (http://www.fv433.co.uk), too many pictures to do it as a forum post!

If anyone has any spares for an Abbot, I need quite a few bits, including:

Firewire control box, engine control switchboard, fuse tins and some stowage mounts/racks.

I picked up a Firewire control box on fleabay recently, so the seller may have more?

Lee, no not a live one, the gun is a deac (shame!).

Thanks david052, good to know they are about.

Can you pm me the details of the seller so I can contact them?

Metroman, it came from the Dinscott Collection in Bude.

Update from tonights fiddlings; I now have gone from no lights, indicators or horn, to working sidelights, tail lights and one headlamp!

The lock out switch on the gear selector is jammed on, so have brought it home to fix and should hopefully have the indicators working when I refit it tomorrow evening.

Hi Vince,

Yep, Sultan gone and bigger/heavier/slower vehicle in its place.

What can I say, can't resist a new challenge!

I would not say it was less useable though, both have their pros and cons.

For example, I have had a couple of invites to local open days already, never go any with the Sultan (must be the "its got a gun" thing).

At least it gives me more bits to look for at the shows (although they will be heavier to carry back to the car!).

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the day doing some more work on the Abbot.

I have started taking out all the various modifications and iffy wiring that have been added over is years in civvy ownership.

I have also lifted part of the rear floor (rest to come up when I can get the bolts undone).

So far have taken about 200 litres of water out from under the floor, and about 4 buckets of clay.

It has been run for years without the drain plugs in, so quite a lot of mud has accumulated in the bottom of the hull.

I have now got all the lights (side, tail, head, no. plate, indicators and brake) working.

Still not managed to sort the horn out.

Ideally need a new dash (same as in other FV430 variants), as mine is in poor condition.

I have also started going over the engine/steering box compartments.

Will have the pack out when the weather is nice in the summer, so just an inspection and check of the bits I can get at for now.

The Abbot had a known "oil leak" when I purchased it, but does not really use any oil.

I think I have located the problem in the form of a pipe (centre of below pic), that is not connected.

Looks like a breather as it goes into the base of the air filter box. Anyone know if this is correct and where it comes from?

pipe to identify.jpg

Spent the day replacing track pads on the FV433.

Old pad backing plates (rubber long gone!) came off quite easily.

Worst job was chipping all the clay and stones out of the cavity behind the pad.

Pictures show before, new pad/backing washer/spring washer and nut, and after.

Before.jpg

new pad.jpg

after.jpg

Not too expensive, but takes ages!

Still have about another 80 to replace, so should keep me quiet for a while.

How long the pads lasts depends on how you drive, and what on.

Make lots of sharp turns and drive on rough surfaces (flint especially), and they will not last long.

If you try to make gentle sweeping turns and stick to grass/tarmac then they will last quite a while.

FV430 series track is quite hard wearing if looked after.