Fight to save WW2 bomber base for the nation

Jack

Hell of a story.

More than 60 years on, RAF Bicester - the most complete surviving wartime bomber base - is at the centre of a fresh battle, as a group of enthusiasts tries to save the historic site for the nation instead of it being sold off to developers...

Click on the HMVF logo for the front page.......

It's a great idea Jack, but as the article states, the MOD has a duty to obtain the best price for the site which is going to put it out of reach of the enthusiasts. It will be interesting to see how the many grade 2 listed buildings on the site will be maintained, as apparently several are in a bad state of repair.

Tony Iveson is a great friend of our family and has campaigned for many years to erect a monument to the 55,000 men of bomber command who perished; it looks like he has finally achieved his goal.

Let us hope they pull it off.

It would be one thing to lose it to redevelopment for industry/commerce where people can go to earn a living, but if we end up losing such an important survivor to yet another giant retail park where people go to spend money they don't have on cr&p from China or elsewhere - well we might as well go back to the Stone Age....back to my wiring diagram now.

It is a fantastic site. Go on to Google Earth and type in Bicester. You can really explore the place. Quite amazing that it still exists unaltered. I would think that the sale price will put it out of the reach of those that would want to save it, so its future might be a bit bleak. Saying that, they are not allowed to build houses on the site and as a lot of the buildings are listed it might not appeal to the average land developer.

If you are interested you can scroll to the South of the airfield and you will find one of the MODS biggest ammunition dumps. lots of train tracks dissapearing under ground. Built (or enlarged) by Italian POWs in WW2. Quite fascinating.

Tim (too)

I once turned up on spec to view a RAMCO tender of rolling stock - spent for ever driving around trying to find the entrance to Site D - then spent an hour in the guard house only to discover that I had to cough up £250 just to look, refundable of course on successful bid!! No thanks.

The point I'm trying to make is it is an amazing infrastructure, but you get absolutely no feel for the scale of it from the ground.