Aircraft crash site info wanted.

We have been selling a lot of the Haynes Spifire and Lanc manuals recently. This bloke was looking at the Lanc manual in our shop and said he had been picking up bits of a crashed bomber from a field not too far away from me and gave me its rough location. Is there a generally accessible website of crash locations or any info available on the web? Intrigued...

"Monty was one of only two or three people in Deanshanger who owned a motor car before the war, and during the war almost all cars had to be laid up for lack of petrol. A Beaufighter crash landed in one of his fields, near what is now the Kingfisher Club, the crew escaped although the fuel tanks ruptured, they were very lucky there was no fire. Monty filled several cans from the leaking tanks, but, although he was a magistrate, he was prosecuted for using the petrol. The village chuckled because the very high octane fuel also ruined his engine."

"Monty was one of only two or three people in Deanshanger who owned a motor car before the war, and during the war almost all cars had to be laid up for lack of petrol. A Beaufighter crash landed in one of his fields, near what is now the Kingfisher Club, the crew escaped although the fuel tanks ruptured, they were very lucky there was no fire. Monty filled several cans from the leaking tanks, but, although he was a magistrate, he was prosecuted for using the petrol. The village chuckled because the very high octane fuel also ruined his engine."[/quote]

Does that make him a triple Muppet?:cool2:

Thinking about it though, you say the co-ordinates were slightly off? The bloke who I originally got the site off, did say another site a mile or two away, I just assumed he got the place wrong. A case of places and names getting distorted by history as time goes on. How do I get the site location given on the crash map in a modern setting?

Dear Rick W and members

I know miracles can happen in this forum but I am on the other side of the world.

The drawing provided is of one of our aircraft that went missing on the 21st of November 1943.

The site of the crash wasn't discovered until October 1992.

The recovery occurred in 1996.

If you work on longitude and latitude in google earth you should find the site

Have fun.

Aha! I did wonder from the Lat and Long co-ordinates you gave me, they seemed to be opposite UK ones! Plus when I did a search for the aircraft number on google it came up with an Aussie one. Another possible recorded match for mine is a Halifax(?) that went down near Silverstone, but its well recorded and a few miles out of the way.

Quite a lot going on when you start looking into it...

Rick have you printed out the drawing and put it together?

You will see that the RAAF did a detailed study of the site, your RAF should of dun the same for your crash site and there should be records available, ring your local base.

img060.jpg

This was one of the photos from the recovery task, I will post the story when I can, I am trying to get some jobs dun before the expected 39c today.