Scammell Vertical Winch

There is clearly a close tie up between Scammell and Wild, I don't know where else to try and find out more...

The first picture is of a pre production military 6x4 Pioneer fitted with a relatively basic winch possibly made by Scammell, this may not have met military needs, being a bit on the small side.

image0-1-7.jpg

Which may mean they bought one in (from Wild?) for the 6x6 experiment, but it was too tall for the military version that needed a load bed above it, look where the rear seats are in relation to the drivers one in this pic.

image0-2-3.jpg

now look at this view of the winch fitted to that 6X6 Pioneer, to me the drive shaft with the brake mechanism and the way it is geared to the drum look very much the same as the Scammell winch.

winch1.png

The text describing this pic states that 'the production military version..........had a vertical axis Wild winch.'

Imagine the drum made larger in diameter and shorter in length, turn it through 90 deg and what have you got? A design collaboration or badge engineering?

Wild were proven winch designers, Scammells may have come up with the idea of a large flattish low profile drum which took some time to get right hence the reported drum failures.

I may of course be completely wrong, feel free to pick this theory to bits and comment :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom picture shows a winch which to my eyes resembles the winch Scammell fitted to the Highwayman artic tractor, and some somemans tractors. They used a winch with a crowned drum, and a crowned guide roller ahead of it to try to force yhe rope to the outer edges of the drum, instead of bunching up in the hiddle. It did not have spooling gear as such, and it had a relatively short rope, Being only about twice the length of an attached drawbar trailer, (for loading purposes.) I am unaware of any link up with this winch, and Wild.

You didn't say where your photos were from, who who wrote the text, assigning the winch to "wild"

Edited by antarmike

Did the winch fitted Highwayman and showmans tractors predate the 6x6 pioneer?

The photos have been published in various places, the text came from Pat Kennet, who credits Fred Griswold 'who for many years was responsible for special and military developments at Watford, and took the trouble to clarify many items of fact.' (World Trucks no.8 Scammell)

As he says 'the production military version..........had a vertical axis Wild winch.' and as the one shown resembles the later version it could be argued that this was also a Wild winch.

Edited by gritineye

Not as far as I know, and it isn't that winch pictured, it just looks similar. In the Highwayman, the winch is offset to the nearside, and sits under the passenger seat.

I can't exactly remember where it is on the Showtrac, but again I think iot is under the passenger seat.

So do we have it from a long term Scammell man, closely associated with Pioneer development that the winch is a "Wild"?

Edited by antarmike

Showtrac winch, similar no doubt, but different.

image0-3-1.jpg

It would have to be established when Fred Griswold period of involvement was, he may not have been there for the 6x6 work. He would presumably have access to specs, factory word of mouth etc. though.

• 3 weeks later...
The same article suggests that the basic design was derived from a Czech ploughing winch as fitted under the boilers of steam ploughing engines.

Don’t know if it helps the conversation but the Winch fitted to my Czech Tatra 813 Prime Mover is almost identical to the Scammell/Wild winch fitted to my Militant, main difference being the over load is via a shear pin and the drum is smaller.

On a different note I have a spare Scammell / Wild Winch with a new looking cable that has to go to raise funds for a decent hydraulic winch for the bed of the Foden transporter we are currently building.