Land-Rover S2A Lightweight in service

Ivor Ramsden

Here's a couple of photos of an early 2A Lightweight, 37FG60, taken in the summer of 1970 at a Light Infantry recruiting event in Dewsbury. Not the best quality because they were taken with my Instamatic camera.

Doesn't it look nice in Deep Bronze Green with shiny galvanised bits. And Dunlop Trak-Grip tyres - ooh, ooh, steady now!

Where is it now?

File0001.jpg

File0002.jpg

High gloss DBG can't beat it & real galvanised finish (silver paint never looks right). Well done for taking a rear shot as well, nicely in context including the RAOC caravan. You were obviously impressed, so did they manage to recruit you then?

Edited by fv1609

Service life didn't appeal at all in 1971. Too many TV reports of badness in N.I. It appeals even less now that our lads and lasses don't know who their enemy is.

But let's not get political. I have the utmost admiration for anybody who is willing to join up and serve in today's war zones.

I just try to do my bit with the museum; it's my way of saying thank you to the people who protected our freedom, and those who still do.

• 3 years later...

Nice pictures, Ivor!

I don't know why I haven't seen them sooner. I have one of these vehicles myself, ex-RAF, and have a FB page dedicated to the type. I've put a link to your pictures -I hope that's OK.

Thanks for sharing them, regards,

-Roger.

I'd forgotten about this thread! No problem with the link, Roger.

I keep looking at a pile of rust which used to be S2A lightweight 41FG45 and thinking I must start its restoration.

Thanks Ivor, only subscribers to HMVF could see the pictures anyway.

If you're on FB, please take a look at my page for inspiration!

I've been reprimanded before for putting a link to it on here, but it can be found by searching for "Series IIA lightweight Land Rover (Rover 1)". Please feel free to upload pictures of your project, I'm sure everyone would find them most interesting.

Regards,

-Roger.

• 2 weeks later...