Help with possible military number plate

relichunter

Hey there

My first post on this forum and i am hoping your guys can help me.

I collect WW2 relics and have recently been visiting an old airbase. Whilst metal detecting and digging up various artifacts (including a couple of merlin engine exhaust stubs !! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: ) I found a number plate at the same depth as artifacts i know are from WW2 era.

It is an 'embossed' number plate and, after cleaning, reads EG 909. There are no other markings visible.

Can anyone help with it's identification ? It could have been on a British or American vehicle and could equally have come from a farmers vehicle !

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

relichunter

It is an 'embossed' number plate and, after cleaning, reads EG 909. There are no other markings visible.

Can anyone help with it's identification ? It could have been on a British or American vehicle and could equally have come from a farmers vehicle !

Hi Relichunter,

If the plate is a civilian registration plate, then EG denotes that it was issued from Peterborough council licensing office. As vehicles did not move so far from their local area in those days ( the number would be prewar ), is the area you found it in, near Peterborough?

Richard

It was indeed found near Peterborough !

I don't suppose you can tell me anything else about it can you ? Or maybe even direct me to a site that will help with identifying what vehicle it was 'attached' to ?

Many thanks

relichunter

Hi Relichunter,

"EG" was issued by the Soke of Peterborough Vehicle Registration Authority, the series ran from 1931 to 1949, EG1 to EG9999

Go to the County Record Office at Huntingdon and ask for Record Ref. No. VL2/1/9, which should give you original registration details of the EG series of numbers.

Hope this is of help.

regards, Richard