Carbuilder2002

Hello am new to all this so expect a load of what may seem like prety idiotic questions.

Though I have resored many classic cars and built a few from scratch, this is a whole new direction for me.

Although basicaly not a military vehicle nut in the way that most of you guys will be, I was imensley impressed in my earlier days when I came across two amazing vehicles trundling up the A1 while our family was travelling on my fathers Mini Traveller.

I was latter to find out that these beasts were in fact a pair of Alvis Stalwarts'.

They were obviously in private ownership as one was painted a dark blue and the other one was Orange.

Who knows one of you may have owned one of these two in the mid 70's.

Anyway enough of this rambling I find myself here as I am in the process of trying to purchase one of these fantastic machines, it seems to have had most of the mechanicals and chassis sorted out but does need the clutch replacing or as I have also been told it may need the sacrificial pin replacing.

So my first question would be can anyone offer any recomendations as to how to go about this as I have been told it can be done by just moving the engine rearward to gain access, is this right or has it to be removed.

Welcome to the friendly forum . And must say you are stepping right into the deep end , many would start with something simplier but as with all hobbies its what interests you that most important . I m sure that one of the Stalwart owners will be along soon and can give you very sage advice .

Yes sage advice, probably along the lines of 'Yore DOOOMED!!! Toitally DOOMED!. Welcome to the Forum. With your background you are now probably 'Expert elect' on 'What is that civvy car in the background?' And you thought you were looking for advice. Welcome to the madhouse. :-D

Welcome CB2002 . You'll find people from many many vehicular backgrounds here with a wealth of knowledge from the enclyclopedic to the hysterical . There are quite a few Stolly owners hereabouts so there'll be plenty of advice available once they've sobered up & got the world back into focus - look out for the hunched & haunted looking ones with al the scars and sticking plasters - that'll be them .

Welcome to the forum cb2002. My fathers first military vehicle was a Stolly. For someone completly new to the hobby it would probably not be the best choice of vehicle to start with unless you were mechanicly famliar wth it. My Dad suffered a lot of ups and downs with the Stalwart but over time he began to learn how to right those problems. Lastly i must add if you do take the plunge and get one, you would love it...while it works.

Neil,..................where are you..............:sweat:

welcome to the friendly forum, Carbuilder,........as others have already said, IF you do decide to go the stolly route, best have a chat with the owners on here. :-D.................

However, since when has owning ANY military vehicle been sensible, :cool2:......... so whatever you decide, enjoy the banter on here, and be HAPPY. :)

All the best,

Andy