For sale at Withams

Metroman

It seems to depend on the size of vehicle and where they put the engine and gearbox. Smaller tracked AFVs, CVRT, FV430, M113 etc have the drive sprocket at the front. Heavier AFVs, Chieftain, Challenger 1/2, M1 Abrams etc have the sprocket at the rear. I guess this just depends on where the steering box or gearbox is. The lighter vehicles have it at the front, heavier at the rear. AS90 and Warrior are heavy vehicles, with the box at the front as space is needed at the rear, so the sprocket is at the front. All the vehicles have track tensioners.

Chris

This applies with modern tanks. During the Second World War I cannot off top of head (not trying hard at all) think of a front-engined tank, or a rear-sprocketed tank, which looking back strikes me as odd.

I was about to suggest that this is why the Sherman was so high, until I realised that the PzKpfw4 to top of turret (less cupola) is about the same height as the Sherman to top of hull, so the Sherman's height must be purely down to the engine configuration; and all tanks of the era had drive train passing under the turrent to final drives at the very front (broad generalisation).

This applies with modern tanks. During the Second World War I cannot off top of head (not trying hard at all) think of a front-engined tank, or a rear-sprocketed tank, which looking back strikes me as odd.

I was about to suggest that this is why the Sherman was so high, until I realised that the PzKpfw4 to top of turret (less cupola) is about the same height as the Sherman to top of hull, so the Sherman's height must be purely down to the engine configuration; and all tanks of the era had drive train passing under the turrent to final drives at the very front (broad generalisation).

Rear sprocketed.... Valentine, Churchill, Matilda, Covenanter, Crusader, Centaur, Cromwell, Comet etc. all of which have the engine and transmission at the rear. Front engined is harder, apart from the odd smaller AFV, I can't think of any WW2 tanks.

Sherman is tall because of the need to have a turret basket over a relatively high propshaft. If they had used a drop box from the clutch, it would have been possible to lower it. Indeed this was done in the M18 Hellcat and results in a much lower vehicle.

Will let you all know how I go on with the registration in the not too distant future. I am also going to try and register my M578 at the same time, that is 10 foot wide. John

If you can find a DVLA office that will pass a 10' wide vehicle let me know - I'll send you the stuff for my OT and get you (as an established customer so to speak :) ) - to put it through for me!!!!

If you can find a DVLA office that will pass a 10' wide vehicle let me know - I'll send you the stuff for my OT and get you (as an established customer so to speak :) ) - to put it through for me!!!!

Neil,

The difference with John's two vehicles the CET and M578 is that they are more likely to count as plant/construction equipment or agricultural as they have a large and obvious bucket and a crane respectively. These are original design features and not modifications. I believe the DVLA's point is that your OT having neither of these features cannot be considered anything other than a tank.

Neil,

The difference with John's two vehicles the CET and M578 is that they are more likely to count as plant/construction equipment or agricultural as they have a large and obvious bucket and a crane respectively. These are original design features and not modifications. I believe the DVLA's point is that your OT having neither of these features cannot be considered anything other than a tank.

Nope - the DVLA and VOSA's attitude thus far is that they won't process it solely because it is wider than whatever the width limit is (2.56m IIRC) and that NOTHING (their words, not mine) can be registered over that width since Jan 2007.

Hence me saying if the lad can find an office that will pass anything over that width...........

I really like posting on this forum becuase you get knowledgable and thoughtful posts from people who care about and recognise the importance of Historic Military vehicles and want to see their long term survival.....(then someone has to go and spoil it)

Edited by antarmike