Hello from the Isle of Man

Ivor Ramsden

Hi, I'm Secretary of the Manx Aviation & Military Museum which is run by unpaid volunteers like me as a way of repaying a debt and saying thank you to the men & women who served their country when they were needed. I've recently taken early retirement so that I can spend more time on museum work.

I've joined the forum because we've just bought a Morris-Commercial C9/B SP Bofors gun, a type which was used by the 15th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, R.A. (the Manx Regiment) from D-Day onwards. We've been looking for one for years and one finally turned up on Milweb. I can only find references to four of these vehicles - ours, Cobbaton Combat's, the RA Museum's and one on the Isle of Wight. Does anybody know of any more?

I'm new to military vehicles but I've been restoring Land Rovers for 30 years (gulp!), mostly Series 1s but including a couple of military ones - Series 2A Lightweight number 72 and a 1949 80". I've got a late S3 Lightweight which is on the road and another early S2A lightweight which definitely isn't, but it will one day. I'll post some pictures when I get time. Oh yes, there's an ex-MoD 4x2 Series 2 around here somewhere, too! Oh, and a 1963 S2A rolling chassis which is also ex-MoD!

I joined the forum to find out more about the Morris - anorak stuff like what colour should the engine block be, and also to find where to get spares. I've been very impressed with the depth of knowledge that many members have and I hope that I can help others in time. About all that I've got to offer anyone right now is an electronic copy of the Maintenance Manual & User Instructions for the Morris-Commercial C8 FAT, C8 A.T. Portee, C8/P and C9/B. It's available on disc for a small donation to museum funds.

Museum Morris C9B 4 in firing position.jpg

1968 Lightweight - it WILL run again!.JPG