A day trip to Wales

Great War truck

I took a trailer up to N Wales last Monday to collect an Eagle trailer axle. Actually the axle was not really that exciting but what is good is the two tyres on it. They are the same size as front Thornycroft tyres and are in excllent condition. The wheels and axle are of no interest to us, so after we have removed the tyres it will be free to a good home. Does anybody want it:

DSCN9140.jpg

While looking around in the sheds i came across a number of other interesting things, including a WW1 army steam roller. This one is marked WE (War Engineers) with the arrow instead of WD. I had not come across that before, but the owner showed me an original photo of it marked up as such. Has anybody else come across such a thing? Unfortunately it was all sheeted over which precluded the taking of a photo, but there were a couple of other interesting things too

DSCN9130.jpg

DSCN9128.jpg

This next one is 1911 Austrian, but the name of it escapes me. The Austro Hungarian army used traction engines for hauling heavy guns much like the British. This one was a recent import from Russia, so i expect that it could tell a few interesting stories.

DSCN9142.jpg

Tim (too)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I had my eye on that Cummins diesel on the floor in front of it!

How far north is it?

Looks like a 185 pilot boat style.

Pity you didn't let me know you were coming to N Wales Tim , I would have liked to have seen you again. I assume from detail on the first photo it was N E Wales.

Oh yes, you are right NE Wales. Not too far away from Chester really. It would have been good fun to meet up again but sadly time was against us. The whole journey took us 10 hours and i was well and truly exhausted by the time we got home.

Sorry i think the Cummins engine is spoken for.

The Eagle trailers were built in the 1920's and 30's and were twin axle for hauling behind trucks like ours. I dont think i have ever seen a complete one.

Tim (too)

:cool2: Methinks V504 or V555, ideal motor for a WLF - good power, great sound and high revving. Possible problem with fouling of steering box? If you're serious Stormin, I could have a quick measure up.

If it is 504 thats only about 220hp isnt it,is that enough or am i just used to having too much.:-D

:cool2: Methinks V504 or V555, ideal motor for a WLF - good power, great sound and high revving. Possible problem with fouling of steering box? If you're serious Stormin, I could have a quick measure up.

Thanks NOS

No need to measure up I was only kidding. Got my Cummins fuel pump stripped down trying to improve it at the moment so still persevering with the old engine.

Thanks NOS

No need to measure up I was only kidding.

Maybe, Stormin, but you've got me going now, as I have a spare V555 and hadn't given it a thought till now :argh::-D :confused:

Catweazle, is your "185" the V504? The V555 is 200hp in industrial application (e.g. RF's crane), not got a clue about automotive ratings though.

Maybe, Stormin, but you've got me going now, as I have a spare V555 and hadn't given it a thought till now :argh::-D :confused:

Catweazle, is your "185" the V504? The V555 is 200hp in industrial application (e.g. RF's crane), not got a clue about automotive ratings though.

I have never been able to clarify that,but probably we had two in a nelson pilot boat previous to Horatia.185 hp.not really powefull enough for us but was the standard trinity house engine in the 60s probably had a long service life.there are still plenty in boats still today.I was impressed with the coolant filter never seen one on an engine before.Only thing was we had to get someone in to do the injector timing.

Just goes to show we are both clever enough to know when not to do something.We had one at our college in a ford D seies type cab i think ,an artic with double clutch like antars,When we had all finished buggering it up an old boy from the local ford agent would come in and put it right.I think he was on a nice regular little earner:-D

• 2 years later...

Tim et al

Here is what a complete (mostly) 4 wheel Eagle trailer looks like.

This one is works No5 and was rescued from under a hedge in Warwickshire, though it has been alledgedly preserved for some time. We estimate it to date from 1913 - 15 from what we have learnet so far.

Many thanks to Steve for the wheels back, the hubcaps are going on this trailer as two had gone walkabout in its time in Warwickshire.

The frame is currently waiting to be shotblasted.

The springs are new, and the axles shackles etc are all done ready in primer and are awaiting the frame. Rubbers are the next costly problem.

008_0332.jpg

008_0333.jpg

008_0334.jpg

The steam engine referenced above is seen here unsheeted at a local event last year. New in 1915 to a general haulier, she was comandeered by the WD in 1916, we guess used for something like baling fodder for horses. By 1920 it was back in civvies. The trailer in this picture is a 1920's 'Carrimore' but pretty similar to the Eagle.

2010-06-12_13-52-57_DSC_7168.jpg