One for Clive....!

Jack

Ex Irish Army Leyland TE2 armoured car built in 1935/36, in service until early 80s in reserve! Based on Landsverk armoured car design and fitted with Landsverk turrets. The bodies were built in the cavalry workshops.

For more details see Irish Army Vehicles, Transport and Armour since 1922 by Karl Martin, an excellent book.

The Irish Army took much smaller home made Ford armoured cars to the Congo in the 60s, the Cobbaton collection has one.

The Irish Army took much smaller home made Ford armoured cars to the Congo in the 60s, the Cobbaton collection has one.

Not any more its in the National Museum of Ireland, Collins Barracks, Dublin

http://www.museum.ie/en/exhibition/gallery/photo-gallery-soldiersandchiefs.aspx?image=9d6c2034-63e9-4d5a-b18a-867ee4e00767

Sean, yes that would be good. When it was at Preston's half of it was painted a bluey grey, which I could never work out why.

I've got a picture of one I took at a Duxford show over 20 years ago I'll try to dig that out.

That book you mentioned when was that published? I've got Karl Martin's "Irish Army Armoured Cars" published in 1983. Not sure if that is the armoured car content of the bigger book?

Published Sept 2002 by the author ISBN 0-9543413-0-9 152 pages, over 400 photos. Includes a whole page about paint schemes.

His preamble mentions the 1983 book but doesn't state whether the new one was an expansion on it. It does appear to include just about very single vehicle the Irish Defence Forces have ever owned. Huge list of thanks that seems to cover half the DF Staff plus David Fletcher and Bart Vanderveen!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, some piccies from the Soldiers and Chiefs exhibition at the National Museum of Ireland.

Very good exhibition dealing sensitively with Irish soldiers serving both home and abroad with various armies. Much is devoted to UN service.

autumpics023.jpg

autumpics024.jpg

autumpics027.jpg

1940/41 Ford Mk VI armoured car based on commercial chassis, bodied by Thompsons of Carlow, (earliest versions were bodied by the GSR railway workshops at Inchicore). This is what the Irish Army used in their first UN mission to the Congo in 1961!!

autumpics028.jpg

Panhard armoured car as used in the Lebanon in 70/80s

autumpics026.jpg

autumpics022.jpg

Bren carrier and Landsverk L60 tank

Sean yes good to see those. Nice to see the vehicles themselves without being swamped in too much clutter. I know dioramas & all that sort of thing are impressive but they are a darn nuisance if its the vehicle itself you are interested in.

The Panhards also used to patrol the border in the north. I've never yet seen any Pigs used by the Irish UN contingents. If they used them in Cyprus I just wonder if they were the same Pigs used in rotation by the Canadians & the Danes?

I see the number of Irish recruits increasing for the British Army:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7749793.stm

And here is the Ford when it was at Preston's in 1995

EireFord.jpg

I don't recall what the notes said but from 1941 all Irish Army vehicles were painted 2 tone grey, upper surfaces dark, all others light grey. That Bren does seem to half grey half green though, no idea why. After 1954 up to the 60s it was Quaker Grey 629, a BS colour which is what I suspect the L60 and half the Bren is painted in. (info from the book I mentioned before)

The book also gives a recipe for a milk/ cement wash to be applied to requisitioned vehicles! Recipe is 1 1/2 parts milk to 1 part cement with either 1/4 or 1/2 part soot depending on shade.