Oh dear what's happened here?

fv1609

Yes both pretty much right. Although these bits are not so much splines but the shaft itself. this was the view into the diff.

DSCF9287.jpg

and this was the shaft end.

DSCF9281.jpg

if you look at the flange of the differential box you can see where molten metal has entered & welded itself on.

DSCF9296.jpg

When I removed the diff casing the oil resembled aluminium paint. The crown wheel only suffered minor abrasions & the pinion wheel had no damage.

How did it happen? Yes I would like to know that! It was done before I bought the pig about 10 years ago. The hazards of buying a vehicle unseen on the telephone & I ended up buying a 4x2! I was overwhelmed by the rareness of the vehicle in that it was FV1609 originally & to date remains the oldest Pig in the world still running. So it was easy to go astray.

The reason for the axle dissection is that I am trying to have a clearout. This was part of the rear axle I took off. What went on was axle that had a shaft go on the other side so I had to mix & match to get one complete working axle.

The result was lots of dead bits around, so i have been dismantling every component that is serviceable, putting it in the washer, packing with grease & then in a bag & I MUST try to label all these bits. So they are there for a rainy day.

There is great satisfaction at reviewing the damage directly & getting to grips with all the components first hand. Many of which are merely represent in the IPL as items in cross sectional diagrams. This grubby hands on exercise makes it all much more understandable.