Jeep Tailgate .

snowtracdave

Question

10 answers to this question

Doubtless a dumb question to the officiandos but can you tell me.........

Which models of Jeep had an opening tailgate as standard ?

Are they interchangeable ?

How diffficult is it to get hold of one & approximate price .

'nk you

Lots of ww2 Jeeps in civilian use had the back panel cut out, but it was postwar models that were built with tailgates as standard from 1946? on.. CJ's, military versions M38's,......

Edited by Nick Johns

When my father was under-manager of a Colombian gold mine, 1946 until his death in 1967, his company car was a Willys Jeep. Entirely appropriate when the Andean main roads were dirt tracks.

I do not remember the tailgate coming down, but my brother and I used to annoy him by climbing out of the back (the canvas was open at the back like a Land Rover) onto the rear bumper and stepping off as he pulled into the drive.

Thanks Nick & Alien (always an interesting story to relate :)).

I was pretty sure that wartime jeeps were unadulterated & I know about CJ's as my brother used to have a CJ6 but I was uncertain about the military machines from post war onwards .

So , as a 'For Instance' would it be reasonably straight forward to find a good original tailboard for an M38A1 or are there maybe decent repro ones available ?

No Nick , I wouldn't dream of hacking into an original vehicle, I'm contemplating the purchase of a Jeep which is sans tailgate (amongst other small bits - wipers/motors,spare wheel,seat cushions to name a few ) and I wanted to find out how much grief would be involved in tracking down the missing bits before getting too involved . I've done a couple of internet searches without much success so I thought I would ask here(which is probably what I should have done in the first place ! ).

:thumbsup: Thanks bubba - had a look at 4WD Hardware & it certainly looks like they can sort out anything I might need .

I'm going to have to put my plans on hold for a bit -a family medical problem has just arisen which is going to be making a lot of calls on my time for the forseeable .

Thanks to everybody for the information and offers . I'll let you know if it all pans out .

Dave .